Program Goals and Skills
We expect our graduates to undertake careers in academia as world-class researchers and professors. The skills that students acquire include:
- The vision to recognize important and unexplored business issues.
- A capacity to develop research questions.
- The ability to use a variety of research methods to collect, analyze and present data.
- The organization skills required to follow process of research from the conceptualization of a research question to the recommendations for the development of better management practices.
- An ethical attitude when designing and conducting research.
- The networking skills required to work in collaboration with the business community.
- The writing skills required to present the new ideas and body of knowledge in a coherent way following the standards of major management journals.
Core and Methodology Courses
The PhD Program offers a great variety of core as well as methodological courses and seminars to provide you with the most complete and accurate tools to successfully develop your research in academia.
Principles are core courses that are related to the basic areas of Management. They will provide the basic knowledge that any PhD student at IE must master.
To write academic articles and your Dissertation, a solid foundation in Research Methods (quantitative and qualitative) are fundamental and key to a PhD Program.
As a PhD student you will choose an area of concentration to develop your Dissertation, i.e. Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources; Strategy; Operations and Technology Management; Finance and Management Accounting and Marketing.
These Seminars will help you to deepen your knowledge in your area of concentration, and also be able to choose other seminars that will complement your research.
Where are they now?
Pursuing a PhD at IE Business School is an investment in your future. We choose exceptional people and train them to become the researchers and scholars of tomorrow. As a consequence, our alumni have, over the years, gathered the skills and knowledge needed for them to forge a bright future in academia. Our alumni are spread around the world working as researchers and academics in top institutions. Our graduates have been hired by schools such as Bocconi University (Italy), Penn State University (US), Cranfield University (UK) and Melbourne Business School (Australia). Alumni and current students are in close contact thanks to the networking opportunities that academic events offer. International conferences like Academy of Management, EGOS, POMS, EUROMA or SMS are important meeting points of our IE students and alumni. These interactions allow them to share experiences when publishing, best practices in teaching, and research interests.