Do you have any questions?


The Student Office is the first point of contact for incoming students. Our dedicated Student Office staff is prepared to answer your questions and provide any information needed, from the visa process to helping you select extracurricular activities.

Mentoring program

This is a voluntary program which aims to help mainly international students get used to their new environment. A senior student is assigned to a group of new students and provides them with help and support during the academic year.

Medical assistance

International medical insurance

Private medical insurance is required to obtain a student visa. This insurance must cover all major and minor medical expenses, from repatriation to visits to the doctor’s surgery. Medical insurance is included in the requirements specified by Spanish consulates for awarding student visas.

SANITAS, a well known Spanish insurance company, allows our students to take out medical insurance in their home countries, which means they do not have to wait until they get to Spain to take out a health care policy. If you already have private medical insurance, don’t forget to check which medical center you can use, and what the contact numbers are in case of emergency. You must bring your medical card and all your insurance documents with you. Contact the Student Office if you need further information.


Social Security (Spanish public health care)

To receive medical assistance in a health center in Segovia, you will need a health insurance card which identifies you as the beneficiary of the public health system in your home country.

Students from any of the European Union’s 27 Member States, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, can use the Spanish public sector health system during short visits or stays abroad. To do so, you will need to bring a European Health Insurance Card with you. This card ensures that you will get the same access to public health care (doctors, hospitals or health centers) as the Nationals of the European country you are visiting.

However, keep in mind that this card does not cover foreign medical costs if you are traveling in order to obtain treatment for an illness or injury you had before your arrival. Nor does it cover private health care providers.

Money and Banking

One of the things you need to sort out as soon as you get to Spain is opening a bank account. Remember that having a bank account is or may be essential for renting a flat, taking out medical insurance, signing up for a cell phone and other utility contracts such as hot water, gas, electricity, or a telephone. Checks are not generally accepted as a means of payment.

It's a good idea to check with your own bank before you come to Spain to see whether it has branches in Segovia or has any agreements with other banks in Spain.

All non-Spanish students must present their NIE (foreigners’ identification number) when opening a bank account. The Student Office can help you to apply for your residence card (non-Europeans) or your registration certificate if you are a European citizen.

Some banks allow you to open a current account with your passport initially. In these cases, the bank will need to see your NIE once it is issued, to change the status of your bank account from a “non-resident” to a “resident” account. Bear in mind that it is more costly to have a non-resident account, as transfers may incur additional charges and not all bills are accepted for direct debit. In addition, if you don’t present your NIE to the bank, it may freeze your new account.  

When you open a bank account it will normally be a debit account. Don’t forget to ask the bank for a 4B or Servired debit card, as these are the most widely accepted cards in stores and have the largest network of ATMs.

Visa applications

The first step is to obtain a student visa if you are not an EU citizen. Students who are not EU citizens must apply for a visa in the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their country of origin. Once you have received your student password you will be able to access all the information available on the Online Campus. The site contains detailed instructions and advice on what steps to follow.

Once you have your student visa and you have arrived in Spain, you will then need to get a student permit in order to be able to reside in Spain during your academic studies. To get the permit, simply go to the Student Office at IE University to register your arrival. We will tell you what documents you need to get your student permit. This is important as you need to apply for your student permit within a month after your arrival in Spain.

Individual attention


We know everyone’s needs and situation is different. And for each individual, we offer a personalized service, clarify issues, explore alternatives, and offer possible solutions to obstacles that may arise. 

Global support

Our services are international, with 22 offices strategically situated across the globe. Depending on where you are, we can put you in touch with an IE University representative closest to you.