Professor IE Law School
Business and Corporate Law
Professor Massaguer is a lawyer in the Madrid office of Uría Menéndez. He joined the firm in 1993 and became a partner in 1995. José focuses his practice on intellectual property, unfair competition, and commercial law.
He regularly advises and represents multinational innovative pharmaceutical laboratories and other foreign and domestic innovative companies in sectors such as electronics and microelectronics, software, food, textile, homecare, education and learning before regulatory bodies and courts in proceedings for the protection of patents, trademarks, industrial designs, copyright, know-how and other intellectual property rights.
José also counsels market leaders of the telecommunications, pharmaceutical, electronics, financial services and food and drinks sectors in litigation and non-litigation matters (including the issuance of legal opinions) regarding unfair competition and advertising issues, including passing-off, gaining unfair advantage from the reputation of others, misleading practices, sales below cost, protection of trade secrets, misappropriation of trademarks and getting ups.
José’s advice extends to commercial law related issues as well, including corporate matters, contracting and issuance of legal opinions. He specialises in drafting software contracts and contracts for companies engaged in the IT business, including content and technology development and licensing, e-commerce, advertising and distribution, and has participated in the design and drafting of the corporate legal policies and standard conditions of the leading Spanish on-line service providers.
- Ph.D. in Law (Prize for Special Achievement), Universidad de Valencia, Spain
- Law Degree (National Prize for Excellence), Universidad de Valencia, Spain.
- Partner in Uria Menendez.
- Spanish Group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
- Member of Editorial Board of: Actas de Derecho Industrial, Cuadernos de Comercio y Derecho, Aranzadi Civil, Revista de Propiedad Intelectual y Anuario de Derecho Concursal.