What Took IE’s Master in Real Estate Development Students to Germany?
As part of their third-term trip, the students of IE’s Master in Real Estate Development visited the cities of Berlin and Hamburg to expand their knowledge about city-making. “For our Master in Real Estate Development, staying in Berlin and Hamburg was an exclusive opportunity for students to explore the increasingly close relationship between real estate, innovation and the re-shaping of a city,” says Flavio Tejada, co-director of the program.
Why Hamburg? Read the whole article written by Flavio Tejada here.
“A world class development is emerging in Hamburg centered in the former port area along the River Elbe. HafenCity is being transformed into a vibrant urban zone, setting new standards in successful integrated urban development, and defining high expectations of urbanity and sustainability. HafenCity is a new urban center taking shape on an area covering 157 hectares, with a fine-tuned blend of workplace and residential uses, coupled with education, culture and leisure, tourism and retail facilities. Since the year 2000, ten sub-districts have been developed from west to east”.
Why Berlin? Read the whole article written by Flavio Tejada here.
According to ULI | Pwc report, “Berlin has these good urban themes: it is becoming a multicultural city. It is becoming a global city. People want to work there, there are multiple employment sectors active in the city and tech is a very big thing there”.
Here is the agenda that the students had in Germany:
- Hamburg HafenCity Presentations by Philipp Preuner and Jürgen Bruns- Beretelg
- Elbphilharmonie Tour by Nicholas Lyons Associate Herzog & Demeuron Architects
- Instituto Cervantes – Welcoming and Master Class by Dr. Wolfgang Willkomm and Dr. Frank Billand, “Urban Development and Architecture in Hamburg”
3 milestones: warehouse district, Kontorhaus quarter and Hafen City (19th, 20th, 21st Centuries) and Networking with the students of Master Real Estate & Leadership School Business Administration Hamburg
- Master Class by Birgit Schlösser and HafenCity Tour
- Master class with Kay Killmann Managing Director GBCI in Arup headquarters
- Visit to EUREF Campus
- Visit to main train Station Hauptbanhof with Alexander Guttmann Commercial Management the OVG Real Estate
- Master Class in AEDES Networking on “The impact of Real Estate in the making of a city. The Berlin case” by Sebastian Klatt, Managing Director p|w|r|development
- Berlin Mercedes-Benz Arena project and East Side Mall
- Visit to Malzfabrik a new Real Estate Development Project characterized by its innovative approach, to understand the concept, the economics and objectives of this innovative type of development