Fermín Vázquez is an architect. He leads b720 Fermín Vázquez Architects, founded together with Ana Bassat in 1997, with offices in Madrid and Barcelona.
His work, which has been exhibited internationally in competitions and museums such as the Venice Biennale, the Cité de Paris, the Aedes Gallery in Berlin and the MOMA in New York, has been awarded nationally and internationally with numerous prizes, among which are two RIBA Awards, a World Architecture Festival award, five ASPRIMA-SIMA awards, the Emporis Skyscraper Award and the “European Prize for Urban Public Space”.
Among his best-known projects we must mention the Forma Itaim Tower in São Paulo, recently awarded as the best skyscraper in the world by CTBUH in 2019, the National Pavilion of Spain at the Milan Expo 2017, the Encants Market in Barcelona, the Torre Agbar and the Reina Sofía museum -together with Jean Nouvel Architectures-, Lleida Airport, the Plaza del Torico in Teruel, the City of Justice in Barcelona and the Copa América building in Valencia -both together with David Chipperfield Architects-, the Gran Casino Costa Brava and the Porta Fira Towers in Barcelona – together with Toyo Ito Architects-.
The WPP Campus La Matriz building, the Hotel VP Plaza de España and the Buenavista homes – that recently was awarded with the best energy efficiency initiative in real estate projects in the Asprima Awards – have recently been completed, all of them in Madrid.
He is currently working, among other projects, on a major urban transformation in Lisbon, the new corporate headquarters of the Simón group, the Hotel Forum in Barcelona and the Polaris North building in Madrid.
During his entire career, Fermín Vázquez has combined professional practice with teaching at the European University of Madrid, at the Ecole d’Architecture et de Paysage de Bordeaux and at the Higher Technical School of Architecture of Barcelona.
He teaches courses and lectures at universities around the world; among others, in Princeton (NY, USA), The Cooper Union (NY USA), HEC Montréal School (Canada), FAUNB (Brasilia, Brazil), FAUP (Porto, Portugal), Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II Naples (Italy ), UCLA (Los Angeles, USA) and more recently, at the Polytechnic of Milano (Italy).
• Founding partner and Director in b720 Fermín Vázquez Arquitectos, Madrid, Spain, 1996 – Present
• Partner at Vázquez, Bassat Arquitectos, Barcelona, Spain, 1994 – 1996
• Design Coordinator , Taylor Woodrow Design & Build Ltd. London, UK, 1990 – 1993
• Project Architect in Chapman Taylor Partners, London, UK, 1989 – 1990
• Jurado Cátedra Cerámica, Universidad Internacional de Catalunya, 2019
• Professor in Facade Master at Universidad Politécnica of Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 2019
• Barcelona Architecture Center and Seminaire Lectures, 2016
• Professor at Posgrado diseño interiores Hotels y Nwe Hosteling, Elisava Escola Universitaria, 2016
• 7º Congreso Internacional Arquitectura, Universitat Politécnica Valencia, 2016
• Professor, S.XXI Architecture at Universidad Europea de Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 2007 – 2010
• Congreso Arquitectura Valencia, Consejo Superior Colegio Arquitectos, Congreso Arquitectura Valencia, 2009
• Architect E.T.S.A.M. (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid), 1988
• Master in Real Estate Company Management Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, 1989