Director, Cundall España
City and Sustainability
Global Master in Real Estate Development
José Castilla is an Industrial Engineer graduated in Universidad de Málaga and specialised in Mechanical and Energy engineering.
He started his professional career for Cundall in London where he lived for 5 years. During this period, he gained extensive experience in sustainable building design, energy efficiency and building passive design. He returned to Spain in 2007 to fund and manage the Spanish Cundall branch with the aim of applying the methodologies he acquired in UK to the Spanish market.
José is passionate about energy efficient buildings and the traditional principles of passive architectures. He is very knowledgeable of the latest computer simulation tools, which he applies to understand the physics of buildings in relation to energy, natural lighting, natural ventilation, computational fluid dynamics, occupant comfort or indoor air quality.
The main professional challenge for José is to improve sustainability in the building industry across its full lifecycle. He was one of the first LEED accredited professionals in Spain and pioneered the LEED certification process in this market. Likewise, he was one of the first WELL consultants in Spain having participated in the certification of the first WELL office in Europe. José has also collaborated with the ITG in the adaptation of the BREEAM certification process to Spain and since then has been member of several BREEAM technical committees in the fields of Energy, Water or Air Quality for this Institute. Being an active member of the Spanish Breen Building Council, GBCE, he was member of its board of directors for several years.
Over his more than 17 years of experience, José has worked in a wide variety of landmark projects across the globe and has collaborated with well-known architects. He has presented in many sustainability conferences and seminars both nationally and internationally and it is a well-known professional in the Spanish market.
In addition to his consultancy engineering activity, José has lectured Renewable Active Systems in the postgraduate program MEEYAB of the Camilo José Cela University during the first three years of the program.
Memberships and Accreditation:
• Chartered in COIIAOR and COIIM
• Member of ASHRAE – Spain Chapter
• Accredited LEED AP BD&C by USGBC
• Co-author: Edificio de Consumo de Energía Casi Nulo. Caso práctico de aplicación. Published: July, 19, 2016. Paper presented to the 3rd Zero Energy Building Congress.
• Co-author: Spanish translation of ASHRAE guide “Standard 90.1-2016 (SI Edition) — Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings (ANSI Approved; IES Co-sponsored)”
• Co-author: Technical book “Guía de eficiencia energética en Centro de Proceso de Datos” ISBN 978-84-616-5763-6. Fenercom, 2013
• Graduate to Senior Engineer. Cundall. London, 2003 – 2007
• Founder and General Manager. Cundall. Madrid, 2007
• Adjunct Professor. IE University. Global Master in Real Estate Development, 2021
• Industrial Engineer with speciality in Mechanical and Energy engineering. Universidad de Málaga, 2002