Arthur is a founding partner of Appleton Luff – International Lawyers, a boutique international law firm with offices worldwide. He has 30 years of experience in international trade and investment law working with international businesses, sovereign States, and international and regional organizations. He has worked throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Latin America, and has served as a Consultant for many organizations including the World Bank, IFC, WTO, ADB, IDB, UNCTAD, UNITAR, ITC, USCLDP, ILI, and the EU. He is on the List of Experts (Chairpersons) for Trade and Sustainable Development Disputes arising from five EU FTAs. In addition, he has served as sole arbitrator, party appointed arbitrator and counsel in ICC, AAA and ad hoc arbitrations. He was previously Counsel at White & Case (2003-2006), and Of Counsel at Lalive and Partners (1998-2003).
Arthur is also an Adjunct Professor of International Law at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS-Europe) where he teaches International Trade Law. In addition, he is a member of the Visiting Faculty and the Advisory Board of the World Trade Institute (University of Bern), teaches Executive Education courses at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (Geneva, Switzerland), and recently joined the Adjunct Faculty of IE (Madrid), where he teaches a course on Standards and Regulation. He has published widely in the field of international trade and arbitration (4 books and approximately 50 articles). He sits on the Editorial Advisory Board, of Legal Issues of Economic Integration and the Advisory Committee of The Latin American Journal of International Trade Law. Arthur is a Swiss and US national and speaks English and French. He is admitted to practice law in Maryland and Washington, DC (USA), and is a member of the Ordre des avocat de Genève.
- Adjunct Professor, School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS Europe), Johns Hopkins University, Bologna Center (since 2014)
- Faculty and Advisory Board Member, World Trade Institute (WTI), University of Bern (since 2004)
- Visiting Faculty (Executive Education), Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (HEID Geneva), (since 2007)
- Adjunct Professor, IE University (since spring 2020)
- Visiting Professor, European Public Law Organization (EPLO), beginning Autumn 2020)
- Past: Visiting Faculty, International Economic Law and Policy (IELPO), University of Barcelona (2009-2018); Visiting Lecturer, University of Amsterdam School of Law (2004-2007)
- Certificate, Orchestrating Winning Performance, IMD 2011
- PhD International Law/International Relations, University of Geneva, Graduate Institute of International Studies, 1997
- Diplôme d’études supérieures (DES), University of Geneva, Graduate Institute of International Studies, 1991
- Juris Doctor (JD), School of Law, University of Maryland, 1984
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), William and Mary, 1980 (Junior Year at Exeter University)