Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
Dr. Bin Ma is an Assistant Professor of Leadership in the Department of Human Resources and Organizational Behavior and the Academic Director of IE China Center at IE. Dr. Ma’s research, derived from his belief of business leaders’ increasingly critical roles in today’s business environment, contributes to the understanding of leadership across organizational hierarchies. His research on charismatic leaders’ dark side has won several research grants and awards, including the NLS Most Promising Leadership Research Proposal Award from the Academy of Management.
Before joining IE, Dr. Ma has teaching experiences in both undergraduate and graduate business school programs in China and the United States. As a business school educator, he enables students to acquire concepts that will facilitate learning, analysis and understanding of management in their work organizations throughout their careers. He received several awards for teaching excellent from IE and other institutions he has worked for.
From 2007 to 2011, he co-founded Fulighten Optoelectronics Tech Co. Ltd, Shenzhen, China, and operated the company as vice president and marketing executive. The experience of being an entrepreneur helps him to view the field of leadership from a practitioner’s perspective, which benefits his academic roles as a business researcher and educator.
• Ph.D. in Management, M.Phil., City University of New York, USA
• M.S. in Organizational Behavior, New York University, USA
• M.S. in Corporate Management, Bachelor in Economics, Bachelor in Law, South China University of Technology, China
• Assistant Professor, IE Business School, IE University, Spain, 2018-Present
• Lecturer, University of Missouri-Columbia, USA, 2018
• Lecturer, Baruch College, City University of New York, USA, 2013-2016
• Lecturer/Student Advisor, South China University of Technology, China, 2006-2009
• Co-founder/VP of Marketing, Fulighten Optoelectronics Tech Co. Ltd. Shenzhen, China, 2007-2011
• Lu, F., Kwan, H.K., Ma, B. (2021). “Carry the Past into the Future: The Effects of CEO Temporal Focus on Succession Planning in Family Firms”. Asia Pacific Journal of Management
• Pan, J., Liu,S., Ma, B., Qu, Z. (2018). “How Does Proactive Personality Promote Creativity? A Multilevel Examination of the Interplay between Formal and Informal Leadership”. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. Vol. 91(4): 852-874.
• Ma, B., Tillman, C. J., Pan, J. (2017). “Third Party Judgment and Reaction to Abusive Supervision of Coworkers”. Best Paper Proceedings of the Seventy-seventh Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Vol. 2017(1): 14539