IE University will run a challenge for European democracy-affirming startups on June 28
On June 28, 2022 (4:00 pm), the first Tech4Democracy Venture Day will be held at the IE Tower in Madrid, with New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as keynote speaker.
Other confirmed speakers include:
– Rob Berschinski (Special Assistant to the U.S. President and National Security Council Senior Director for Democracy and Human Rights)
– Anne-Marie Slaughter (Professor Emerita of Politics and International Affairs, Princeton University; CEO, New America)
– Daniel Innerarity (Chair, Artificial Intelligence and Democracy, European University Institute)
– Jeremy Cliffe (Writer at Large, The New Statesman)
– Amy Larsen (Director, Democracy Forward, Microsoft)
The Madrid Venture Day will feature a competition for European startups that are pioneering the development of usable democracy-affirming technologies, as well as discussions on how technology can contribute to the promotion of democratic values worldwide.
Tech4Democracy is a global initiative by IE University, in partnership with the U.S. Department of State, that aims to support entrepreneurs who develop democracy-affirming technologies. It is part of President Biden’s Summit for Democracy and its purpose is to mobilize democratic governments, the private sector, and civil society to defend democracy today and safeguard it for future generations.
Microsoft is the main strategic supporter of the initiative. Three IE University centers are running Tech4Democracy: the Center for the Governance of Change, the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and the PublicTech Lab. The Center for the Governance of Change is the coordinator of the initiative.
For more information please visit Tech4Democracy’s website here.