Student Services

Dear student,

We are happy to be able to assist you again in person at our Madrid Campus.
We're back to our usual location in the María de Molina 13 building.

Please book an appointment with us if you require assistance concerning immigration procedures, relocation or health insurance. Keep in mind that you will have to take the COVID test through IE and have a green Health Passport before being able to access Campus. Also, remember masks must always be worn inside of Campus.

Welcome to IE!

We look forward to seeing you on campus.

The Student Services’ mission is to make your transition to Spain as smooth as possible. Our team is here to support you with immigration and relocation processes, such as housing, health care, bank accounts, resources for partners and information about life in Madrid, so that you can focus on studying and enjoying the IE experience.

To contact our department, you can email us at or call us at (+34) 91 568 97 50 — 91 568 96 00.

If you are in Madrid, feel free to visit our office in María de Molina 13 from 9 am to 6 pm (Monday to Friday).

What to prepare before moving to Madrid?


You do not need a visa if you are a passport holder of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the *United Kingdom ‌‌.

However, you DO need to register with the local authorities when you arrive in Spain. Once you have arrived in Spain, you must register at the nearest Foreigners Office to obtain your Certificate of Registration* (a residence permit that allows you to live and study in Spain for 5 years).

Remember that this process is a legal requirement; additionally, you will need it to secure an internship or a job after completing your master’s degree.

Our office will send you all the necessary information. In the meantime, make sure to bring your passport and your European Health Insurance Card (if available in your country) with you to Spain.

If your nationality is not listed above, you will need a student visa. It is very important that you apply for your visa three months before your expected arrival to Spain to ensure that you receive it on time. This also applies to non-European citizens currently residing in the European Union.

Students enrolled in full-time programs in Spain (student visa)


You must submit your student visa application at the Spanish consulate with jurisdiction in the place where you have been legally residing for more than the last 6 months.


Spanish consulates only accept applications within the 90 days before the start of your program. It is important to do so as soon as possible within this time frame. Visa application appointments fill up quickly, so be sure to book an appointment as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT: The visa process can take between 4 and 6 weeks, depending on the application and the consulate. Besides the processing time, you must also consider the time it takes to obtain, prepare and legalize (if required) the student visa application documents. Therefore, we advise students to prepare their documentation with enough time in advance, considering the application’s timeframe.


Although most consulates generally ask for the same set of documents, many consulates have specific requirements which can change from year to year. Therefore, it is essential that you contact your local consulate to ask for an updated list of requirements. The Student Services department will issue your visa supporting documents. Student Services will contact you once you have concluded the enrolment process and around 5 months before your program starts.

Students enrolled in part-time programs with mandatory face-to-face sessions in Madrid (Schengen visa)

Blended programs, which include online and face-to-face periods, do not entitle students to apply for a student visa and reside in Spain until the end of the program. Therefore, depending on your nationality, you might need to obtain a Schengen visa to come to Spain. Click HERE to find out if you need one.

Before applying for a visa, you should check the website or bulletin board of the consulate in which you will submit your application. If you have any questions or need clarification on this matter, please contact Student Services.

*IMPORTANT: Your passport needs to be valid for at least 3 months beyond the intended duration of your stay in Spain.

Once you have finished the enrollment process, if you wish to obtain your visa supporting documents, get in touch with

Check our Health Protocols and Travel Information Guide

Click here


There are several types of accommodation available for our students; private apartments or residences are two of the most popular options. We recommend that you start looking for accommodation as soon as possible to ensure that you can choose the best option for you.


PRICES: Before renting a flat in Madrid, there are a few things to consider: the most important factor that determines the price of the rent is whether you decide to share a flat or not. Living alone is always more expensive.

Although prices for renting a flat in Madrid vary depending on many factors, including a student’s personal taste and needs, you can expect to pay between 800 and 1200 euros per month for a one-bedroom apartment. If you are thinking of sharing a flat with other students, you can expect to pay less.

BEFORE SIGNING A CONTRACT: If you plan to live in a flat, in order to avoid scams, we always recommend visiting it in person and not making any payment before signing a contract.

  • Beyond Campus
    Beyond Campus: Apartments and Residences.

    Beyond Campus is a new accommodation platform for IE students. IE MBA Alumni, who identified a real need for quality, reliable and secure accommodation for the growing IE community, created it.

    In addition to having the best selection of apartments and residences (especially MasterHome, Funway and The Residence for masters students) near campus, Beyond Campus strives to enhance the experience by offering benefits like contracts in English, 24-hour service, and quality control.


    Although renting a flat through an agency tends to be a bit more expensive because of the commissions, it can also be a very convenient option. IE recommends the following real estate agencies. Be sure to mention that you are an IE student. Visit the following links to learn more:

    Dflat Madrid | PYR | Beroomers | Accommadrid | Antorán Inmobiliaria | MadridEasy

    In general, the most common way to search for a flat in Spain is by using one of the most popular real estate websites. Visit the links below to find out more:

    Idealista | Fotocasa | Enalquiler

  • Moving & Storage
    Housing Related Services

    As an IE student, you can also benefit from the agreements we have with Moving and Storage Companies. These can be useful to you especially If you are in Madrid and you need to change apartment and move furniture, if you are going on holidays and you don’t want to keep your belongings in your apartment but store them somewhere until your return, or if you are abroad and you would like someone to pack all your things and send them to the destination of your choice.

    For further details please contact the companies directly; they offer free quotations:

    • Grupo AMYGO for national/international door to door moving services
    • Bluespace for storage in Madrid
    • DLF for moving, packing and storing services
    • SGR for pick up, storage and delivery of smaller objects

    If you want to furnish your new home or just rent any product, we recommend YBY Gear. is a wide gear rental platform, from professional suppliers to private users. It is a Circular Economy startup developed at IE by a group of IMBA students during 2019, that offers access to all kinds of products, for a specific term, only paying for the usage given; with quality, service and satisfaction guarantee. From furniture and home appliances to sport and entertainment equipment, at you can find everything.


If you are a landlord, you can register your flat through Beyond Campus, IE’s new accommodation platform for students. For further information, please contact us on telephone number +34 609 07 40 04 or send us an email.

Send an email


It is very important that all IE students have complete health insurance coverage to cover any illness or accident that may occur during their stay in Spain. Insurance is not included in the program’s fees. This coverage can be ensured by means of the (1) European Health Card, for EU citizens that can apply for it in their country of origin and use the Spanish public health system, or (2) with a private medical insurance that covers them in Spain.

It is essential that students have insurance for their own safety and because the Spanish government requires that all students have health insurance. Please note that travel insurance is not accepted for students enrolled in full-time programs.


If you would like to sign a contract with a private medical insurance in Spain, please keep in mind that our office has an agreement with three large insurance companies: Adeslas, Cigna and Sanitas. All three offer full coverage policies with special prices for IE students (contact us for more information) which comply with Spanish established requirements for student visas and residence permits.

Students that have international health insurance are strongly recommended to investigate all policy procedures, requirements and limitations of their insurance. It is better to be proactive than to try to deal with an emergency after it arises.

If you need a routine appointment, you should first contact your private medical provider. They can guide you to the correct medical centers and answer questions about your specific policy.


If you hold a European passport and you have a legal residence in a European country, you might be able to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This way, you will have free access to Spain’s public healthcare system.

Please, keep in mind that you cannot apply for this card from Spain. You must apply for the European Health Insurance Card in the EU country where you legally reside.

Can I open a bank account in Spain?

While students are welcome to try opening a bank account at the bank of their choice, banks have the right to ask foreigners for their NIE/TIE (the Spanish ID assigned to foreigners) to guarantee that they will be in Spain for extended stays.

In order to facilitate this process, IE has agreements with certain entities.

For more information on the matter, please contact upon completion of the enrollment process.



    From Madrid Airport (Barajas) to IE (Calle María de Molina 13)

    Line 8 (the pink line) takes you straight from Barajas airport to the center of Madrid. The airport metro stations are in Terminal 2 and Terminal 4, and there are signs to help you find it throughout the airport. The metro stop in downtown Madrid is called Nuevos Ministerios and it is in the middle of the Paseo de la Castellana.

    From Nuevos Ministerios you can take line 10 (dark blue line) to Gregorio Marañón. This stop brings you out further down the Paseo de la Castellana, and you simply cross this road to reach Calle María de Molina. Or you can take line 6 (grey line) to Avenida de América.

  • BY BUS

    From Madrid Airport (Barajas) to IE (Calle María de Molina 13)

    Bus number 200 provides a permanent bus service that goes direct from the airport —from all its terminals — stopping at the Avenida de América bus and metro station. It runs from 5:15am to 11:30pm and has special racks for luggage.

    Take the bus all the way to the end of the line. The bus will drop you off at the Avenida de América bus station. From there you only have to walk down a couple of blocks to IE or take a cab a short distance to campus.

    Another choice is to take the Airport Express bus, which provides service 24h, and offers different stops. This bus has a flat rate fare of 5€, regardless of where you want to get off. The journey takes around 40 minutes, depending on the amount of traffic.

  • BY CAR

    From Madrid Airport (Barajas) to IE (Calle María de Molina 13)

    Arriving from T1-T2-T3:

    • Follow the signs M-14/Madrid Centro Ciudad/ Avda. América / A-2 / M-40 / A-4/A-5/A-3 and merge onto M-14
    • Take exit 1 to merge onto E-90/A-2 and keep left to continue A-2
    • Continue to Avenida de América and then on to Calle María de Molina

    Arriving from T4:

    • Take the M-12 ramp to Madrid/M-11/M-40
    • Use the middle lane to continue toward M-13 and follow the signs M-13/M-11/BARAJAS/AEROPUERTO
    • Continue to M-13 and then onto M-14
    • Use the two right lanes to take exit 1 to merge onto E-90/A-2 towards Madrid
    • Keep left to continue on A-2
    • Continue on to Avenida de América and then to Calle María de Molina
  • Transfer services

    If you don’t want to worry about anything on arrival but getting to your destination safely and on time, you can trust this service to professionals.

    Beyond Campus presents its new service called VTCREGO which offers quality drivers with luxury class cars, guaranteeing maximum comfort. The drivers will be waiting for you at the airport, as the pick-ups are scheduled ahead of time. The prices are fixed, regardless of the time of arrival. Click on the link above to find out more.

    LivingMad also launches its new “Arrival and Companion Service”, essentially a transfer service composed by a driver and a Living Mad staff member, who will guide and help install the student in their new home. Please contact them for further information.

The information provided here is presented for informational purposes only and does not constitute an invitation, offer, request or obligation on the part of IE or of any of the entities of the IE Group. It is information from third parties, which IE only reproduces. Its use is completely voluntary and under the sole responsibility of the user.