Those students in possession of an official university diploma, or with an equivalent official diploma that allows access to post-graduate studies in the country of your university studies, will be awarded an Official University Master Degree from IE University.


  • To enroll in the official master

    Students must fulfill the following conditions and requirements to be officially enrolled and entitled to request the issuance of the University Official Degree upon completion of their Master Program. In case of not proving the credentials of the previous university studies and/or not fulfilling the requirements on time, students will not be able to request the University Official Degree issued by Spanish authorities and the studies will not have any official effects under the Spanish educational regulations.

    1. Two filled-in copies of the General Registration Form.
    2. Original and photocopy of your passport, Spanish ID or NIE, according to the name and surnames that you want to appear in the Official Master Diploma.
    3. Original and photocopy of your University Degree Diploma.
  • For foreign University degrees

    1. In case the University Degree Diploma has not been issued by a higher educational institution belonging to a Member State of the European Union or to the European Higher Education Area (these are: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium Flemish Community, Belgium French Community, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Holy See, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, Spain, Switzerland, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine and the United Kingdom) it will require its legalization by Apostille of The Hague or diplomatic legalization that must be done in the country of issue of the University Degree Diploma.
    2. If the University Degree Diploma is not in Spanish, English, French, Italian, Portuguese or Latin, a sworn translation of the degree will be necessary (it should be done after its legalization, if required).


What does “legalized university diploma” mean?

In order to be recognized abroad, public documents (for example, university diplomas, notarized documents, birth or marriage certificates, or police records) should be legalized (*).

* It is important to note that the required degree is the university degree (Bachelor´s, Architect, Engineer, or other equivalent university degree), and NOT the academic transcript.

For the legalization (or authentication) of public or official documents in order for them to be recognized in Spain, there are only two options:

  • Legalization by the Hague Apostille
  • Legalization through diplomatic or consular channels (in the Spanish embassy or consulates in the country where the document was issued).

These options are mutually exclusive, i.e. your documents can only be legalized in one of the two ways in order for the legalization to be valid in Spain.

Hague Apostille Legalization

If the public document to be legalized was issued by a member country of the Hague Convention of 1961 and is presented to another member country of the Convention, the only legalization necessary is the Hague Apostille. The Apostille consists of a single process by the competent authorities in the country issuing the public document.

Since Spain is a member of the Convention, if the country from which your documents proceed is also a member of the Hague Convention than you can have the Apostille affixed to your document.

Each member country determines the competent authorities for getting the Apostille on public documents. Therefore, you should inquire about the appropriate competent authority in your country.

Diplomatic or Consular Legalization

If the country issuing the public document is not a member of the Hague Convention, the legalization should be done through Spanish embassies or consulates in that country.

In this case, legalizations consist of a series of normally three consecutive seals (or stamps), always in the same order (to skip a seal would result in an incomplete legalization and the document wouldn´t be valid in Spain nor could a skipped seal be completed in Spain). Normally, the process is:

  1. Recognition in the country of the document´s origin by the authorities in the competent Ministry or department, of the signatures on the original document, in this case the Ministry of Education.
  2. Seal by the country´s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, recognizing the prior seal.
  3. Recognition of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs´ seal by the Spanish consulate or Embassy in the originating country.

This kind of legalization can vary from country to country or may consist of fewer seals; therefore it is recommended that you ask for more information regarding the correct procedure.

Where should I legalize my documents?

Legalizations must always be done in the country from which the university diploma originates.

I have to legalize and translate my diploma. In what order should I do it?

The correct order is as follows:

  1. ALWAYS legalize your original diploma (via the Hague Apostille or diplomatic/consular channels).
  2. Translate the previously legalized diploma.

Documents that haven´t followed this order will not be accepted.

Translation of Diplomas

You can find a complete list of sworn translators here.

I´ve studied in Spain but I still haven´t been given my university diploma. What should I present instead?

Students who have studied in Spain and haven´t yet received their university diploma can submit:

  1. Their complete academic transcript, and
  2. A copy of the receipt of having paid the fees for the issuance of their diploma.

I also have a Master and/or I´ve completed a Doctorate. What documents should I present?

Those students who, in addition to their university degree also have a Master and/or Doctorates, should always present the first degree (Bachelors, graduate, etc.) as this is what permits one to access a post graduate Masters.