You will not need a visa if you are from Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, United Kingdom, Romania, Sweden and Switzerland.

However, you still need to register with the Spanish authorities upon your arrival!


Once you arrive in Spain you will have to register with the national authorities and obtain your perosonal NIE card (residency document that allows you to study and stay in Spain for 5 years).

This is a compulsory process because (1) it is a legal requirement, (2) it is for your own safety, if anything happens to you while you are in Spain, and (3) you need it for internships during the third or fourth year and/or to apply for a job position in Spain.

Remember to take your passport and your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), if it is available in your country. We will help you with the rest of the documents in order to obtain your NIE card upon your arrival*.

*Please, be aware that the requirements for UK citizens might change after Brexit is fully established.


If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need a visa! It is very important to apply for your visa three months before you move to Spain to ensure that you receive it on time. Also, we strongly recommend you to reserve your place in the university as soon as possible, so that we can send you an official welcome email with further instructions.


1. Once you reserve your place at IE University, we will send you a welcome email that contains a visa survey. Please, pay close attention to the emails from Student Services and fill in the visa survey as soon as you receive it, so that we can start preparing the visa documents that you will need from our end. We will send you both an electronic copy and the originals documents to the address that you provide us on the survey.

2. Contact the nearest Spanish Consulate or Embassy that corresponds to your place of legal residence. They should be able to answer any specific questions that you might have and give you an updated list of requirements in order to apply for a student visa for Spain. Don’t forget to book an appointment to apply for a student visa at least three months before the start of your classes!

Click HERE to see all the Spanish Consulates and Embassies around the world.

Of course, if you have any questions, you can always contact our department via email at, or by calling us at (+34) 91 568 98 96.