Kiron Ravindran’s research and teaching interests in Information Systems comes from his engineering and management education, industry experience, training in quantitative methods and a keen interest in emerging technologies.
Kiron holds a PhD from the University of California, Irvine, during which he focused on Sourcing Strategy, Information Technology Management, Governance and Contract Design, Organizational Social Network Analysis, and Economics of Information Systems. He teaches in the International and Global MBA programs, the undergraduate and Master in Big Data programs. In addition he holds the post of the Associate Dean of the Master in Management Programs.
His industry experience includes working in the manufacturing and information technology sectors. Working for a large automotive manufacturer, he managed sourcing from suppliers and sub-contractors. In the IT industry, he played the roles of a project manager, strategy consultant and IT service provider. As a result, he became interested in the problems associated with inter-firm trade relationships. Trained as an applied economist, he uses economics as a lens to examine issues of business value in organizational IT decision making.
• Assistant Professor, Information Systems, 2010 - present
• Associate Dean of the Master in Management Programs, 2012 - 2019
• Teaching Assistant, University of California, Irvine, 2004 - 2010
• Ph.D. in Information Systems, University of California, Irvine, 2010
• Post Graduate Diploma in Management (International Business), S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai, 1999
• Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering, Kerala University, 1995
• Larsen & Toubro Infotech Ltd. 2002 - 2003
• Aptech Worldwide (now Hexaware), 1999 - 2002
• Ashok Leyland 1996 - 1997
• Ravindran, K., Gonzalez Muñoz, J., Van den Bergh, A. (2020). “When the Cloud Runs Out of its Silver Lining”. In Beulen, E., Ribbers, P. (Eds.). The Routledge Companion to Managing Digital Outsourcing. Routledge
• Chang, Y.B., Gurbaxani, V., Ravindran, K. (2017). “Information Technology Outsourcing: Asset Transfer and the Role of Contract”. Management Information Systems Quarterly, Vol. 41(3): 959-973
• Aggarwal, S., Ravindran, K., Ray, G.(2016). “Why Do Firms Outsource: A Tool for Contextual Ambidexterity”. Shared Services and Outsourcing: A Contemporary Outlook, 1-18
• Ravindran, K., Susarla, A., Mani, D. & Gurbaxani, V.(2015). “Social Capital and Contract Duration in Buyer-Supplier Networks for Information Technology Outsourcing”. Information Systems Research, Vol. 26(2): 379-397