Nick van Dam
Dr. Nick van Dam is an internationally recognized thought leader, adviser, researcher, author, and speaker on learning innovations and leadership development. Nick has over 30 years of business experience as a former partner, Chief Learning Officer, HR Executive, and Client Advisor at McKinsey & Company, Deloitte as well as Siemens. As an advisor he has served more than 100 clients around the world.
Nick is Chief of the IE University Center for Corporate Learning Innovation, serves on the University Advisory Board and is professor in Learning, Talent and Leadership Development. Additionally, he is a full professor at Nyenrode Business Universiteit (The Netherlands), as well as an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he works with candidates in the Executive Doctoral Program for Chief Learning Officers. He is affiliated with McKinsey as a Senior Advisor.
Nick has written articles for various publications and has been quoted by Harvard Business Review, Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, Fortune Magazine, Business Week, India Times, Information Week, Management Consulting, CLO Magazine and TD Magazine.
He has authored and coauthored more than 25 books and numerous articles on innovations in learning and leadership development. Under the patronage of the European Parliament Federal Ministry of Education & Research, he received the 2013 Leonardo European Corporate Learning Award for ‘shaping the future of organizational learning and leadership development’.
He is the founder of the e-Learning for Kids Foundation, which has provided digital lessons for more than 20 million underprivileged elementary school children.
• Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Human Capital Development, Nyenrode Business University, Netherlands, 1999 – 2005
• Certificate in Executive Leadership Development Program: Strategic Human Resource Management, Harvard Business School, USA
• Certificate in Executive Leadership Development Program: Human Resource Management, The Wharton School, USA
• Master of Arts (M.A.)/Drs. in Organization Sociology, major: Psychology & Human Resources, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
• Bachelor of Education (B.Ed), Education, Economics & Business Economics, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
• Board of Director, Chief Learning Officer, Chief Center Corporate Learning Innovation and Professor Learning and Leadership Development, IE University, Spain, Jan 2019 – Present
• Senior Faculty Member and Advisor, Josh Bersin Academy, Spain, Jul 2019 – Present
• Academic Director: International Masterclass L&D Leadership; Executive Master Positive Leadership, Transformation & Change; and The Young Leaders Experience. IE University, Jan 2019 – Present
McKinsey & Company
• Senior Advisor (external), Spain, Jan 2019 – Present
• Partner, Global Chief Learning Officer, People Executive MT member, and Client Advisor, Netherlands, Jan 2014 – Jan 2019
Nyenrode Business University
• Full Professor Corporate Learning & Leadership Development Netherlands, Feb 2016 – Present
• Academic Director: International Masterclass Learning & Development Leadership, Netherlands, Feb 2016 – present
• Associate Professor, Netherlands, Sep 2010 – Feb 2016
University of Pennsylvania
• Professor, Learning & Leadership Development, Greater Philadelphia Area, USA, May 2007 – Present
• Teaching, Learning and Leadership Division
• Advisory Board Member: Penn Doctorate CLO Program & Adjunct Professor, Greater Philadelphia Area, USA, Jun 2011 – Present
• Van Dam, N.H.M., Marcus, J. (2019) Handbook Organization & Management (710 p.) Noordhoff, Groningen, The Netherlands.
• Van Dam, N.H.M. (2018) Elevating Learning & Development. McKinsey & Company, New York, NY, USA.
• Feser, C., Rennie, M., Chen Nielsen, N, van Dam, N.H.M. (2018) Leadership at Scale.Nicholas Braley publishing. Boston, MA, USA.
• Van Dam, N.H.M., Van der Helm, E. (2016). There’s a Proven Link Between Effective Leadership and Getting Enough Sleep. Harvard Business Review, February