Rui Vieira is an Assistant Professor in Management Control and Accounting. He holds a Ph.D. in Industrial and Business Studies from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom. He has been engaged in research and teaching activities in various other schools such as Amsterdam Business School (The Netherlands), Nordakademie (Germany), Nanyang Business School (Singapore), Universidade Nova de Lisboa, ISCTE, and Universidade Lusíada (all three in Portugal), as well as University of Warwick and Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (both in the United Kingdom).
His research focus is on Management accounting, especially in the fields of management control systems, cost accounting, performance measurement, and the organisational and behavioural aspects of management accounting systems, in which he has several publications.
• PhD in Industrial and Business Studies, University of Warwick, UK
• MSc in Management and Strategy, ISCTE-IUL Business School, Portugal
• Bachelor in Business Administration, Universidade do Algarve, Portugal
• Assistant Professor of Accounting and Management Control, IE Business School, Spain, 2016-Present
• Visiting Professor of Cost Accounting and Management Control, IE Business School, Spain, 2007-2015
• Assistant Professor of Management Control and Accounting, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2010-2015
• Visiting Professor of Accounting for Decision Making and Control, Nanyang Business School, Singapore, 2009
• Post-doc Researcher, IE Business School, Spain, 2008-2009
• Assistant Professor of Management Control and Accounting, Nova School of Business and Economics, Portugal, 2003-2008
• Lecturer of Management Accounting, ISCTE-IUL Business School, Portugal, 1989-2003
• Executive and MBA courses, INDEG and ISCTE Business School, Portugal, 1989-2003
• Management Accouting Triner, CESO-CI – Consultores Internacionais S.A., Mozambique and Cape Verde Islands, 1996-1997
• Consultancy, CCA – Caiano Pereira Consultores Associados Lda., Portugal, 1990
• Investment Analysis, IAPMEI – Instituto de Apoio às Pequenas e Médias Empresas e à Inovação, Portugal, 1989
• Vieira, R., O’Dwyer, B. & Schneider, R. (2017). “Aligning Strategy and Performance Management Systems: The Case of the Wind-Farm Industry”, Organization & Environment, Vol. 30(1): 3-26.
• Borrenbergs, J., Vieira, R. & Georgakopoulos, G. (2017). “Remuneration Committees´ Gender Composition as a Determinant of Executive Board Compensation Structure”, International Business Research, Vol. 10(2): 135-146.
• Vieira, R. (2017). “Paradigmas Teóricos de Investigação em Contabilidade” [Research Paradigms in Accounting]. In Major, M. & Vieira, R. (Eds.) Contabilidade e Controlo de Gestão: Teoria, Metodologia e Prática (Second edition). Lisboa: Escolar Editora.
• Vieira, R., Major, M. & Robalo, R. (2017). “Investigação Qualitativa em Contabilidade” [Qualitative Research in Accounting]. In Major, M. & Vieira, R. (Eds.) Contabilidade e Controlo de Gestão: Teoria, Metodologia e Prática (Second edition). Lisboa: Escolar Editora.