Julio de Castro
Julio de Castro’s enthusiasm and passion is infectious. Passionate about business strategy and entrepreneurship, Julio brings years of international consultation experience to the classroom. As a Dominican, and as someone who has worked with companies from all over the world, his insights on cultural variance within the global entrepreneurial ecosystem are invaluable.
As a Dominican with experience as a consultant for companies in both the U.S and elsewhere, he has acquired a wealth of knowledge in his main area of study: the impact cultural variances have on entrepreneurship in different parts of the world.
Director of doctoral program, IE Business School (2014-present)
IE Business School
Julio is fascinated by how the American entrepreneurship spirit is migrating across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe, which has traditionally lagged behind the U.S. on this front. He is also interested in the nature of entrepreneurship among women and members of Spanish-speaking communities, as well as “questions of context and conditions and what implications they have for public policy.”
“What’s interesting is that the way people interpret cues in the environment may play a role in their decision to become an entrepreneur. So, what you have to do to foster entrepreneurship in the US may be very different from what you do in the U.K. or in Spain.”
The process of privatization is another area of interest for Julio, particularly in former communist states and developing countries. He is also keenly following the nature of technology transfer and its effects on new venture creation, especially with respect to piracy.
Julio’s work has appeared in a number of prestigious publications, including the Academy of Management, the Journal of International Business Research, the Journal of Business Venturing and the Journal of Management Studies.
- Doctorate in business administration, University of South Carolina, U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Dominican Republic.
- Director of doctorate program, IE Business School, 2014 to present
- Chair, department of entrepreneurship, IE Business School, 2011-2014
- Chair, strategy department, IE Business School, 2006 to 2008
- Associate dean of research, IE Business School, 2003 to 2008
- Member of the board of governors, Academy of Management, 2003 to 2006
- Member of the board of governors and treasurer, Iberoamerican Academy of Management
- Associate professor of strategy and organization management, University of Colorado at Boulder, U.S., 1989 to 2001
- Visiting professor, IE Business School, 2001
- Visiting professor, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, 1999
- Visiting professor, Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Dominican Republic, 1993 & 1995
- Production manager, Productos La Estrella, Dominican Republic, 1983 to 1984
- Consulting and development of specialized seminars for Grupo BHD, Banco BHD, Aeromar Airlines and Centro Gerencial Meta.