Founder member of Intersección
Member of the European Society of Aesthetics (ESA)
History and Theory
Bachelor in Architectural Studies
- View profile
José Vela Castillo is an architect and founding member of Intersección, a research group on philosophy and architecture. He is a member of the European Society of Aesthetics (ESA) and a researcher for the project, Space and Subjectivity, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Education.
Professor Vela has been published in numerous journals, including Conditions, Architecture and Culture, REIA, Arquitectura, Iluminaciones, Metalocus and Eikasia. He has participated in different international conferences, such as Knowing by Designing, Sint-Lucas School of Architecture, Brussels 2013; Theory by Design, Antwerpen, 2012; EURAU12, Porto 2012; 4th International Alvar Aalto Meeting on Modern Architecture, University of Jyväskylä 2011; Icomos/CaH 20THC, Madrid 2011; and Un|Planbar: Agora und Void, Dresden 2011. In 2010, he published the book (De)gustaciones Gratuitas on Derrida and Mies van der Rohe (translated in 2012 into Portuguese). He is also author of a book on the work of architect Richard Neutra, published by the University of Seville in 2012, titled, Richard Neutra: Un Lugar Para El Orden: Un Estudio Sobre La Arquitectura Natural. He has served as an external evaluator for the journals such as DC papers, RITA, and ZARCH and he sits on the editorial board of the book series Three Crosses: Art, Architecture, Criticism (Cambridge Scholars).
He holds a Ph.D. in architecture from the Polytechnic University of Madrid, School of Architecture. He is currently working on a Ph. D. in Philosophy at the Department of Philosophy, Complutense University, Madrid. His research is focused on theory and architectural projects from a post-metaphysical and critical stance.
• Vela, J. (2020). “Un jardín rocoso. Cinco estampas de Ryōan-ji”. VLC arquitectura. Research Journal, Vol. 7 (1): 33-63
• Vela, J. (2019). “Neutra in The Bauhaus: Dessau, October 193”. In Martínezde Guereñu, L.,García-Estévez, C. de Guereñu & García-Estévez, C. de Guereñu and Carolina B. García-Estévez (Eds.). Bauhaus In and Out. Perpectivas desde España. AhAU
• Vela, J., de la O del Santo Mora,M. (2017). “Social and Political Agency of Architecture: Shared Languages in the Contemporary Global City”. In Couceiro, M., Roseta, F., Pestana, J., Couceiro, S. (Eds.). Architectural Research Addressing Societal Challenges. Taylor and Francis
• Vela, J. (2013). “Live Adventures – And Misadventures – of Style: The Discipline of Architecture”. Architecture and Culture, Vol. 1 (1): 199-212
• Vela, J. (2010). “(De)Gustaciones Gratuitas. De la Deconstrucción, la Fotografía, Mies Van Der Rohe y el Pabellón de Barcelona”. Abada Editores