Dr. Stefanie Beninger is an Assistant Professor of Marketing at IE Business School. Her research interests include marketing and society, focusing on development, sustainability, and macromarketing. She is an upcoming Marie Sklodowska Curie Fellowship, which is one of the most prestigious and competitive sub-programs of the EU H2020 Research Program. As part of this two-year funded fellowship, she will study the impact of refugee-run small-scale businesses on resilience of marketing systems within refugee settlements.
Dr. Beninger is a board member of both the Macromarketing Society and the International Society of Markets and Development, and on the Manuscript Review Board for the Journal of Macromarketing. Her research has been published in peer-reviewed international journals such as Business Horizons and the Journal of Macromarketing, as well as in book chapters. She has co-authored a number of business cases with Ivey Publishing, two of which have been international best sellers. She frequently presents her work at international conferences, including at the Academy of Marketing, the Macromarketing Society, and the Academy of Marketing Science. She was also a winner of the Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, a $105,000(Cdn) doctoral scholarship from Canada’s Social Science and Humanities Research Council.
Dr. Beninger has taught marketing at various institutions, including at Simon Fraser University (Canada), Nyenrode Business University (the Netherlands), and University of Mandalay (Myanmar) at both the undergraduate and graduate level. She received a faculty award for her outstanding teaching at Simon Fraser University in 2015. At IE Business School, Dr. Beninger is teaching Marketing Fundamentals and Consumer Behavior.
Prior to her academic career, Dr. Beninger worked professionally in marketing and management, including as a Sustainability Consultant and International Marketing Manager. She brings this practical and international experience into the classroom.
• Ph.D. in Marketing, Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University, Canada
• M.B.A., Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands
• Executive Certificate in Marketing and Management, Kellogg School of Management, USA
• B.B.A. in International Business, Simon Fraser University, Canada
• Assistant Professor of Marketing, IE Business School, Spain, 2018-Present
• Visiting Lecturer, Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands, 2017
• Sessional Lecturer and Research Assistant, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2012-2018
• International Marketing Manager, Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands 2011-2012
• Sustainability Consultant, The Terrace, the Netherlands, 2010-2011
• Media and Executive Coordinator, Watermark Advertising Design, Canada, 2005-2006
• Full-time Retail Management, Starbucks Coffee Company, Canada, 2001-2004
• Beninger, S. & J.N.P. Francis (2016), “Appropriation of Community Knowledge: Towards an Understanding of the Potential Harm and Benefits,” Journal of Macromarketing, Vol. 36(2), 183-197
• Beninger, S., H. Ajjan, R. Mostafa, & V. Crittenden (2016), A Road to Empowerment: Social Media Use by Women Entrepreneurs in Egypt, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol. 27(2/3), 308-332
• Beninger, S. & K. Robson (2015), Marketing at the Base of the Pyramid: Perspectives for Practitioners and Academics, Business Horizons, Vol. 58(5), 509-516
• Gupta, S., S. Beninger, & J. Ganesh (2015), “A Hybrid Approach to Social Innovation: Lessons from Africa,” Social Enterprise Journal, Vol. 11(10), 89-112