Stefanie Beninger’s research interests including marketing and development, macromarketing, and marketing ethics. Her research on marketing and development explores the role of multiple resources within marketing systems in situations of constraints. Within this focus, she has focused on issues related to resource appropriation and system resilience.
Her research has been published in journals such as the Journal of Macromarketing and Business Horizons. She is also the author of numerous published business cases which are used in classrooms around the globe. She received scholarships for her doctoral work, including the prestigious Joseph Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship from Canada’s Social Science and Humanities Research Council. Stefanie frequently presents her work at international conferences, including at the Academy of Marketing, the Macromarketing Society, and the Academy of Marketing Science. She is on the Manuscript Review Board for the Journal of Macromarketing.
She has taught at or been a guest lecturer at Simon Fraser University (Canada), Nyenrode Business University (the Netherlands), and University of Mandalay (Myanmar) at the undergraduate and graduate level. She received a faculty award for her outstanding teaching at Simon Fraser University. At IE Business School, Stefanie is teaching Marketing Fundamentals and Consumer Behaviour at the undergraduate level. Prior to her academic career, Stefanie worked in marketing and management in both Canada and the Netherlands, including working as a Sustainability Consultant and International Marketing Manager.
• Ph.D. in Marketing, Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University, Canada
• M.B.A., Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands
• Executive Certificate in Marketing and Management, Kellogg School of Management, USA
• B.B.A. in International Business, Simon Fraser University, Canada
• Assistant Professor of Marketing, IE Business School, Spain, 2018-Present
• Visiting Lecturer, Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands, 2017
• Sessional Lecturer and Research Assistant, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2012-2018
• International Marketing Manager, Nyenrode Business University, the Netherlands 2011-2012
• Sustainability Consultant, The Terrace, the Netherlands, 2010-2011
• Media and Executive Coordinator, Watermark Advertising Design, Canada, 2005-2006
• Full-time Retail Management, Starbucks Coffee Company, Canada, 2001-2004
Beninger, S. & J.N.P. Francis (2016), “Appropriation of Community Knowledge: Towards an Understanding of the Potential Harm and Benefits,” Journal of Macromarketing, Vol. 36(2), 183-197
Beninger, S., H. Ajjan, R. Mostafa, & V. Crittenden (2016), A Road to Empowerment: Social Media Use by Women Entrepreneurs in Egypt, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Vol. 27(2/3), 308-332
Beninger, S. & K. Robson (2015), Marketing at the Base of the Pyramid: Perspectives for Practitioners and Academics, Business Horizons, Vol. 58(5), 509-516
Gupta, S., S. Beninger, & J. Ganesh (2015), “A Hybrid Approach to Social Innovation: Lessons from Africa,” Social Enterprise Journal, Vol. 11(10), 89-112