An expert in strategic alliances and legal negotiation, María del Pilar Galeote combines extensive business and teaching experience. Member of the Legal Department of Telefónica Intercontinental where she worked in UMTS tenders. Later, in the Clifford Chance office, in the corporate department, she specialized in aspects related to the negotiation of mergers and acquisitions processes. Finally, since 2003, she has dedicated herself full time at IE to researching and teaching both Negotiation and Corporate Law.
“Negotiation and Corporate Law are two disciplines that fit perfectly; Any professional who intervenes in a corporate operation, in addition to knowing the matter from the substantive point of view, must know how to create the intended effect, must know how to negotiate”.
Professor Galeote has written her doctoral thesis on voting agreements as instruments of control in a joint venture. Since 1999, she has taught Negotiation and Corporate Law in different master’s programs, advanced courses, and Executive Education at IE University, IE Law School, and IE Business School.
María del Pilar Galeote is also co-author of the book Negociar para CON-Vencer, edited by McGraw Hill and author of the books “Voting agreements. Control in a joint venture”, Tirant lo Blanch, May 2008, which includes the key aspects of her doctoral thesis, and “China: Negotiation and foreign investment”, Tirant lo Blanch, March 2012.
Professor Galeote is also a professor at different in-company programs in both national and international companies.
Ph.D in Corporate Law, LLM from IE Law School, LLB from Complutense University of Madrid and Diploma in Business and Corporate aspects, Professor Galeote is also Academic Director of several programs where she combines her passion for Negotiation with all aspects related to commercial law.
She has been awarded in different academic years as Best Professor of Legal and Tax Programs, highlighting in 2020 her Award in “Teaching and Technology” at IE Law School. Also, she is highlighted, in the different academic years, with the Excellence Awards in Open Programs, In-company and Top Management Programs from IE Executive Education.
• Director of the Cervelló Chair, IE Law School, 2010 – Present
• Professor of Practice of Negotiation, M&A and different programs of Corporate Law at IE University, 1999 – Present
• Associate Director of the Negotiation and Mediation Center, IE University, 2003 – 2021
• Negotiation & Persuasión, PON Harvard Law School, May 2018
• PhD in Corporate Law, Universidad CEU San Pablo, 2007
• LLM, IE Law School, 2000
• BA in Law, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1998
• Certificate in Business Administration, Universidad CEU San Pablo, 1999
• Lawyer at Clifford Chance, Spain, 2000 – 2003
• Lawyer at Telefónica Intercontinental, 1999 – 2000
• Galeote, P. (2021). “Sostenibilidad empresarial en el ámbito legislativo europeo”. Revista de Direito Bancário e do Mercado de Capitais, nº 93, 2021
• Galeote, P. (2021). “Sostenibilidad: ética empresarial y gobierno corporativo”. RDB, nº 9
• Galeote, P. (2020). “(Re) Negociación jurídico empresarial en momentos de crisis”, Luquin Bergareche, R. (dir.) COVID-19: Conflictos jurídicos actuales y otros desafios, Wolters Kluwer