Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
Dr. Sergey Gorbatov teaches, speaks, researches and writes about the complex sciences of leadership, organizational behavior and human resources, while making it simple. Outside of academia, Sergey is Director, Talent Management at AbbVie, a Fortune 100 company. In this role, Sergey leads and supports an incredibly talented team of professionals who are responsible for the talent management portfolio across the world. Together, they establish and activate the strategies for ensuring the best talent for the business in the critically important roles.
With over 15 years of experience, Sergey has delivered results in a wide spectrum of roles ranging from HR Operations to Compensation & Benefits to General HR. Yet his strongest expertise lies in Talent Management, Leadership, and Organization Effectiveness. Having performed in the HQ, regional and affiliate organizations, Sergey has first-hand knowledge of operating in multinational matrix environments at companies like AbbVie, PMI and Shell.
Dr. Gorbatov has deep expertise in leadership assessment and development. He coaches executives leveraging instruments like Hogan (HPI, HDS, MVPI), Voices360, Leadership Versatility Index 360, viaEdge, and KornFerry Leadership Architect. He is proficient in facilitating strategic team alignment sessions with top executives around the globe.
Sergey earned his MA in Linguistics and Intercultural Communication at Orel State University in Russia, complemented with an MBA from IE Business School in Madrid, Spain. He obtained his Ph.D. in Management at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
A true traveler at heart, Sergey is passionate about cultures, diversity and languages. A Russian native, Sergey has lived and worked in the United States, Russia, South Africa, Spain and Switzerland.
• Director Global Talent Management, AbbVie, Spain, 2020-Present
• Director General Manager Development, AbbVie, Spain, 2015-2019
• Manager Learning and Executive Development, PMI, Switzerland, 2012-2015
• Manager Compensation and Benefits Learning Management, PMI, Spain, 2011-2012
• HR Account Manager, Shell, South Africa, 2008-2010
• HR Services Lead, Shell, Russia, 2005-2007
• Adjunct Professor of Human Resources, IE Business School, Spain, 2015-Present
• Visiting Professor, Skolkovo School of Management, Russia, 2016-Present
• Director, Center for Feedback Culture, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2019-Present
• Ph.D. in Management, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2019
• MBA in Business Administration IE Business School, Spain, 2011
• Master in Linguistics and Intercultural Communication, Orel State University, Russia, 2004
• International Relations, Otterbein College, USA, 2003