Ignacio De la Torre Muñoz de Morales
Ignacio de la Torre is Partner and Chief Economist at the Spanish Investment Bank, Arcano Partners. Ignacio was amongst the first to foresee the turnaround of the Spanish economy from 2012 on, a thesis that was published in a series of reports titled “The Case for Spain”. Ignacio counts over twenty years of experience in diverse fields of investment banking at Arcano, UBS and Deutsche Bank within the departments of Capital Markets. Since 2003 he has been a Professor of Economics and Finance at IE Business School and since 2007, he is also the Academic Director of IE’s Masters in Finance. For the past decade, he has been a regular columnist for the Spanish newspaper, El Confidencial, and since 2019, for Expansión. Ignacio has published five books, as well as several academic papers (on the financial activities of the Templar Knights) and cases (with INSEAD and IE). In 2009, he won the Everis prize and in 2019 the SIMA-ASPRIMA prize on real estate. Also in 2009, he founded the NGO Financieros sin Fronteras (“Financiers without Borders“), of which he is vice president. He also serves as a member of the advisory board of Círculo de Empresarios and is a member of the board of Arcano Partners. Ignacio holds a Ph. D. in Medieval History (UNED), an MBA (INSEAD), a MSc in Economics (ICADE) and a MA in Law (UNED).
• 2008 – Partner, Chief Economist, Chief economist and member of the investment and strategy committees of the firm, Arcano Partners
• 2002 – 2008: Executive Director. European equities and derivatives sales to Spanish and Portuguese institutions, UBS Investment Bank
• 2001 – 2002: Equity Research Analyst covering the media sector
• 1998 – 2000: Equity Research Analyst, Deutsche Bank
• 1997-1998: Corporate Finance Analyst
• 1999-2010: Founding partner and Board Member, Fénix Networks
• 2007 – Present: Academic Director of Master in Finance Programs of IE
• 2002 – Present: Adjunct Professor at IE. Professor of finance, economy, asset allocation, company valuation, and financial and creative accounting. Voted as best professor of Masters in Finance in 2016, 2014 and 2006. Recipient of excellence awards from 2006 through 2016 in formal and executive education. Author of the case study: “Xfera: What’s A Fair Price?“, awarded best case study published by the IE in the school year 2002-2003, and one of the five shortlisted for the North American Case Research Association (NACRA) – Financial Division, Miami, 2003. Co-author of the case study “The Phoenix’ Death”, awarded as second best case published by the IE in 2010.
• PhD in Medieval History. Dissertation: Financial Activities of the Knights Templar. Awarded with Summa cum Laude unanimously. Outstanding achievement in all doctoral grades. Universidad Nacional de Eduación a Distancia (UNED) (Spain / France / UK), 1998-2003
• MBA. INSEAD, (Fontainebleau, France / Singapore). Broadview scholarship (technology oriented education). 2000-2001
• M. Sc in Economics and Business Administration. Major in Finance. ICADE (Universidad Pontificia de Comillas), Madrid, Spain
• M.A. in Law. Universidad Nacional de Educación a Distancia (UNED), Madrid (Spain). Former Member of the Madrid Bar Association.