Javier de Cendra
Javier de Cendra
Dean IE Law School
- View profile
Javier de Cendra, (LL.M, PhD) is Dean of IE Law School. He studied law and economics at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, earned a Master of Laws (LL.M) in Energy and Environmental Law from the University of Leuven (Belgium), and a PhD in international and European climate change law from Maastricht University (the Netherlands).
Javier´s fields of academic expertise span across environmental and energy law, with a particular focus on climate change, an extremely dynamic and innovative area of environmental law. Javier has engaged intensively in research and consultancy on climate change and energy law and in his PhD, he explored the role of legal principles in shaping the distributional consequences of climate change and climate change policies.
He has participated in several European projects, and contributes regularly to the Malta Forum on Legal Issues on Adaptation to Climate Change, an academic body that provides legal advice on climate change adaptation. As a consultant, he has produced reports on climate change law and policy for the European Commission (DG Clima) and the British government In these areas, and has published three books and many academic articles in journals such as the Yearbook of International Environmental Law, the Journal of Environmental Law, Climate Law, Climate Policy, the Journal of European Consumer Law, and RECIEL. He has presented papers at conferences such as the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law Annual Colloquia and the Global Conferences on Environmental Taxation. He is member of the editorial board of Carbon Climate Law Review and the European Journal of Consumer Law, and acts as expert reviewer for many journals, including Climate Law, Climate Policy, Transnational Environmental Law, RECIEL, and others.
Javier is also President of the Law Schools Global League, member of the Governing Board of the International Association of Law Schools, Honorary Senior Research fellow at University College London Faculty of Law, Honorary Senior Lecturer at UCL Energy Institute, fellow of the Sustainability College Bruges, Academic member of the Institute of Law and public policies of Latin America and the Caribbean (China University of Political Science and Law), legal expert at the Malta Forum on Legal Issues of Adaptation to Climate Change, member of the Scientific Committee of Fondazione Scienza y Fede – STOQ, within the Pontifical Council for Culture, Vatican City State, and member of the international advisory board of CEID Colombia, among several other organizations.
As academic manager, his focus lies in helping develop the blend of knowledge and skills that professionals and students working within the field of law require to ensure that law and legal systems remain relevant for society. In his view, that blend includes thorough knowledge of law from a comparative perspective, a global mind-set, familiarity with other related disciplines, a solid awareness of technologies that are relevant in the legal sector and an entrepreneurial focus.
- PhD in international and European climate change law, Maastricht University, the Netherlands.
- Master of Laws (LL.M) in Energy and Environmental Law, KU Leuven, Belgium.
- Master of Laws (Licenciatura), Master of Economics (Licenciatura), Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain/University of Loughborough, United Kingdom.
- Dean of IE Law School, IE University (Since 2013).
- President of the Law Schools Global League (Since 2015).
- Academic Member of the Institute of Law and Public Policies of Latin America and the Caribbean, China University of Political Cience and Law (Since 2017).
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Laws, University College London (Since 2013).
- Senior Research Associate, UCL Faculty of Laws, Energy Institute (2012 – 2013).
- Guest lecturer, Bartlett School of Architectural Studies, UCL (2010 – 2012).
- Visiting Professor in energy and environmental law, KU Leuven (2010 –).
- Lee,M., Armeni,C., De Cendra, J.,Chaytor,S.,Lock,S.,Maslin,M., Redgwell,C., Rydin,Y. “Public Participation and Climate Change infrastructure”. Journal of Environmental Law, Vol 25 (1): 33-62, 2013.
- De Cendra de Larragán, J. “Achieving Deep Integration between the Climate Change and Energy Agendas: Some Reflections on the EU Approach”. George Washington Journal of Energy and Environmental Law, Vol 3: 240-247, 2012.
- De Cendra de Larragán, J. “The future of the international climate change regime: a legal analysis of possible impacts and state responses”, Climate Policy, 12(S1), 6-27, 2011.