Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
Associate Professor, Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
While she has the perspective of a psychologist, Cristina Simón believes that when teaching organisational behaviour and human resources management to MBA students, the subject must be closely related so the harder-edged side of business. “I try not to talk as a psychologist but to talk their own language and bring the subject closer to the reality of business and corporate performance”, she says. “Our students are demanding HR with more practical approach. The academic background is important of course – but the hands-on experience is critical”.
Her years spent working for consultants such as Coopers & Lybrand and Ernst & Young have given her a distinct advantage in this respect. And she maintains her links with the corporate world through an HR benchmarking club, which meets regularly to share data and examples of best practice in linking HR with corporate performance.
A particularly exciting new line of research for the professor who in 2003 created the Centre for Human Resources at IE (where she is currently Academic Director) is the analysis of the employment relationship. Prof Simón is fascinated by the wide range of elements in the relationship between an employee and his/her employment context, including market value, the job market, macro-economic trends and the philosophy and values of companies and the society.
Within this area, Prof Simón has focused on the contingent worker, which is emerging as a new and increasingly important phenomenon. “When it comes to anything requiring specific expertise, we will start to see this kind of employment relationship emerge”, she says.
• PhD in Technology, Open University, Milton Keynes, Bletchley (UK)
• Degree in Psychology, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain)
• Dean of IE School of Psychology, IE University, 2008 to present
• Professor of Human Resource Management, IE, 2000 to present
• Chair, Organisational Behaviour and Human Resources Department, IE, 2003 to 2006
• Director of Human Resources Centre, IE, 2003 to present
• Vice Dean for Faculty, IE, 2000 to 2002
• Visiting Researcher, The Open University, Faculty of Technology, Centre for Electronic Education (UK) 1989
• Director of several National and International Research Projects for customers such as: Banesto, Endesa, BBVA, Telefónica Móviles, Astilleros Españoles, UMANO, Banco Atlántico, AirMiles España, CajaMadrid, Bankinter, Caixa Galicia, Iberia
• Sáenz, M., Revilla, E., Simón, C. (2020). “Designing AI systems with human-machine teams”. MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 60 (3)
• Revilla, E., Rodríguez-Prado, B., Simón, C. (2020). “The Influence of the Organisational Context on the Managerial Turnover- Performance Relationship”. Human Resource Management, Vol. 59 (5): 423-443
• De Sivatte, I., Gordon, J., Olmos, R., Simón, C. (2019). “The Effects of Site Experience on Job Performance: A Missing Element in Work Experience”. The International Journal of Human Resource Management
• Simón, C., Ferreiro, E. (2018). “Workforce Analytics: A case study of scholar-practitioner collaboration”. Human Resource Management, Vol. 57 (3): 781-793