Sara Sánchez specializes in private international law. She is Assistant Professor of Law at IE University, where she teaches conflict of laws and comparative corporate law, and Co-director of the IE Legal Clinic.
Her main research interests lies in capital markets law from a cross border perspective and its interface with new technologies. She has also worked extensively on international litigation, a topic on which she has published in Spanish and international journals. Other fields of interest include cross-border insolvency and bank resolution. Sara has participated in several Spanish research projects on these topics. She is a member of the European Association of Private International Law (EAPIL) and of the Madrid Bar Association.
Prior to joining IE University, Professor Sara Sánchez was in practice as a lawyer at the capital markets department of Uría Menéndez (Spain), specialized in IPOs and corporate governance matters for listed companies. She also worked as researcher at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) and Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC).
- PhD in Law (international mention), Universidad Autónoma of Madrid, awarded with Cum Laude
- LL.M. in European Union Law, Universidad Autónoma of Madrid
- LL.B. in Law, Universidad Autónoma of Madrid
- Business Direction and Administration Degree, Universidad Autónoma of Madrid
- Assistant Professor, Poner IE University Law School
- Lawyer at UríaMenéndez, Capital markets department
- Profesora honoraria in private international law, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Adjunct Professor at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Master degree programs)
- Researcher, Private international law department, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Scholarship within the program to train teaching staff, Ministry of Science and Innovation, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
- Research trainee, Private international law department, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Trainee, Commercial law department at SJ Berwin
- Sánchez, S. (2021) “Islamic Fintech”. Routledge
- Sánchez, S. (2021). “El Convenio de la Haya de Reconocimiento y Ejecución de Sentencias: arquitectura y algunos problemas seleccionados”. Revista Española de Derecho Internacional, Vol. 73 (1): 233-251
- Sánchez, S., Garcimartín, F. (2020). “Reestructuración transfronteriza en la UE: el reglamento europeo de insolvencia y la directiva de reestructuración preventiva”. Revista de Derecho Concursal y Paraconcursal, Vol. 32: 29-38
- Sánchez, S., Garcimartín, F. (2020). “Is private international law tech-proof? Conflict of laws and fintech: selected issues”. In Thomas John, Rishi Gulati, Ben Khöler (Eds.). Elgar Companion on the Hague Conference on Private International Law. Edward Elgar
- Sánchez, S. (2019). “ICOs and Investor Protection: A Cross-border Perspective”. Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation, Vol. 34 (3): 95-104
- Sánchez, S. (2019). “Legal Clinics and Transactional Lawyering in Spain”. Legal Business World, Vol. 27
- Garciamartín, F.J., Sánchez, S. (2019). “Resolution and Contracts”. In Haentjens, M./ Wessels, B. (Eds.). Research Handbook on Cross-border Bank Resolution. Edward Elgar
- Garciamartín, F.J., Sánchez, S. (2019). “Emisión de obligaciones en mercados extranjeros por sociedades españolas”. In Roncero Sánchez, A. (Eds.). Sociedades cotizadas y transparencia en los mercados, Tomo II. Aranzadi
- Sánchez, S., Garcimartín, F. J. (2018). “Derivatives in a cross-border context: a conflict-of-laws analysis”. Nederlands Internationaal Privatrecht, Vol. 36 (1): 72-93