IE University has approved measures to adapt the campus in order to promote a hybrid learning model and comply with the demands and restrictions inherent to the management of the crisis.
UPDATING FACILITIES TO ENSURE A SAFE CAMPUS
Installation of thermographic cameras at entrances
Thermographic cameras have been installed at the entrances of campus buildings. Should an individual have an above-normal temperature, he or she must return home in accordance with their ethical commitment to the health of others, and the medical service will be notified so that the "suspected case" protocol can be activated.
Installation of hand sanitizer dispensers
Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed at the entrances and in the corridors of those buildings open on campus.
Installation of protective screens for staff that deal with the public
As an additional barrier, staff who have regular contact with the public will have plastic screens fitted to their workstations to protect them. Protective panels and partitions have been installed in the vending and cafeteria areas.
Signposting of one-way entry and exit routes
In order to avoid direct contact with other members of the community, separate one-way entry and exit routes have been set up to prevent facility users from crossing paths and to maintain the appropriate physical distance at all times. These routes have been signposted. The IE University security team will ensure compliance.
Checking and adapting ventilation in the facilities
Three basic measures have been implemented:
- Cleaning and sanitization of air filters.
- Replacement of any unreliable filters.
- Elimination of means used to reutilize air in favor of maximum ventilation with fresh air.
Cleaning, disinfection of facilities and monitoring of rules
IE University has procured the appropriate cleaning products and supplies and has increased the number of staff available to clean the classrooms after each 90-minute session. This cleaning process pays special attention to the frequently touched surfaces such as handrails, doorknobs and door handles, access buttons, etc.
Adapting Academic Activities
Adapting classrooms to a hybrid learning model
1. Devices have been installed in strategic locations to provide a broad view of the classroom. The web cameras give remote students excellent visibility and immersion in the classroom experience.
2. Microphones have been installed to relay and record the voices of the faculty member and of other students during the sessions.
3. Classrooms have been equipped with an extra screen so the faculty member and students can see the students connected remotely.
4. Videoconferencing systems are being used.
5. Any work that needs to be done in groups can be conducted online.
Students must always leave a free seat between them and the next student, and seats will be marked accordingly. Class times in adjacent classrooms have been scheduled so that students do not coincide in the corridors and communal areas before or after their classes.
Adapting programs and timetables
1. Liquid Learning takes the best from physical, digital, and natural environments so that students obtain a world-class education no matter their location, profession, or situation. With the new model, programs will have an innovative design that integrates classes on campus for all of IE University’s students, who currently hail from 140 countries. Hybrid sessions will simultaneously connect face-to-face students with online students for the same immersive experience and academic quality. In addition, asynchronous sessions will allow the development of individual work with the support of faculty. This new format will provide flexibility to students and reinforce active and personalized learning, and focuses on solving real world problems. IE University has redesigned all courses with new methodologies, contents, and academic materials to adapt the programs to this new model of liquid learning. The institution is also redesigning its facilities and equipping classrooms with technological solutions that enhance interaction. Hybrid programs are flexible, and students can choose to study from the geographical location most convenient for them.
2. IE University also offers all sessions in remote learning mode and has reorganized subjects and programs to adapt them to the digital environment.
3. We have reviewed each subject and each session to apply the best academic approach to maximize learning and enrich the student experience.
4. The IE University teams have adapted timetables so that students outside Spain, in very different time zones than Madrid, can still participate in classes in real time.
Liquid Learning makes your education and experience as fluid as your life. There are no borders between the physical and digital world.
You live the full IE experience, you receive world-class education, you belong to the IE Community no matter where you are.
What’s new on campus!
We aim to mainstream sustainability into all aspects of the university. We want to inspire people to change their habits to strengthen a behavioral change. At IE we are committed to fostering environmental and ethical stewardship as well as promoting increased awareness and public understanding.
Students, faculty and staff are all integral to our efforts. We can all help make a positive impact on the world by learning about sustainability — and living it every day! To that end, this guide provides a variety of tips for living sustainably at IE University.
The Chain of Change starts with you!
1. Paper1 Paperless2 RESPONSIBLE CONSUMPTION3 Printing card
We’re going paperless!!
Our goal is to remove all paper from campus of student and staff paper consumption in the institution by the end of 2020.
IE University’s objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2030.
Printing at IE: Bye-bye printers!
We have committed to a 100% reduction in paper usage. In other words, IE is going paperless!
What this means for you: By taking notes, reviewing documents and turning in assignments electronically, you will be helping the environment by reducing waste as well as the energy and water that go into the paper making process. Plus, trees play a critical role in absorbing CO2 from our atmosphere and producing oxygen to support life on our planet. By reducing or eliminating your use of paper, you are doing your part to preserve the life of trees.
Still have a balance on your printing card?
There are two ways the remaining money can be used:
• A donation in the amount of your balance will be made to the WWF initiative to repopulate the forests of the Doñana National Park (Huelva, Spain). The park is home to a unique biodiversity ecosystem currently under threat.
This initiative gives back to the environment what we take away with so much printing. A part of the donation goes directly to the WWF. The other
part is used to sponsor a volunteer trip for students to plant trees in Doñana Park.
For more information about IE’s participation in this important activity in 2019, click here.
This choice does not require action on your part.
• If you don’t want to donate to the Doñana reforestation project, you can use the money in the campus store*. If you choose this option, please let the director of your program know that this is your preference.
*This option is only available for those programs returning to campus in July.
2. Recycling on campus1 Recycling
SORTING YOUR TRASH MATTERS!
On both the Madrid and Segovia campuses, you will find a recycling corner on every floor with receptacles for regular trash, plastic and aluminum containers and paper. Soon there will be a place to recycle batteries as well.
For staff: There will no longer be bins in the offices! Yes, we will need to stand up and throw our trash into the containers in the “recycling spots” on campus.
3. Eating and Drinking on Campus1 USE, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
USE, REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
• IE will no longer be purchasing single-use water bottles – students, teachers and staff – remember to bring a refillable water bottle to campus.
• Water filling stations on campus make it easy to stay hydrated.
• Carry reusable utensils and straw, and if you are eating consider using reusable takeaway containers. Here some great options you can find in our store.