PhD from the Carlos III University of Madrid and MBA from the IE Business School, Rosario Silva is Professor of Strategy at IE University, where she teaches the Competitive Strategy and Strategy courses in different master programs. Throughout her career, she has taught in-company courses for more than twenty companies belonging to different sectors, such as energy, transport, banking or consumer goods. She has also taught specialized courses for managers of the tourism and automotive sectors. Her teaching experience has been recognized with different awards, such as the IE Best Professor Award 2018 (for Pre-experience Master Programs) and the Teaching Excellence Award, 2007.
Until the year 2019, Rosario has written eleven cases and technical notes, mostly in collaboration with the companies under study. Some of these cases have received international recognition, such as the EFMD Case Writing Award obtained in 2014.
Her current research focuses on issues related to the sharing economy, such as, for instance, the determinants of its growth or the response of incumbents to the entry of sharing economy platforms. Her research has been published in journals such as the Academy of Management Perspectives, the Journal of Business Research and Tourism Management. In 2018, one of her papers received the Best paper award in the Strategic Management track of the EURAM Conference. She has participated in four competitive research projects and in several research projects financed by companies and public institutions. She has obtained a six-year research from the national committee for the assessment of the research action (CNEAI) and has directed a doctoral thesis.
• PhD in Business Economics and Quantitative Methods, Carlos III University (Madrid)
• MBA, IE Business School
• Degree in Business, Universidad de Navarra
• GCPCL (Global Colloquium on Participant-Centered Learning), Harvard Business School (2011).
• Head of the Strategy Department, 2019- present
• Professor of Strategy, IE University, 1998-present
• Professor of Strategy, Headspring Executive Development, 2000-present
• Coordination of Adjunct Professors of the Strategy Department, IE University, 2014-present
• Visiting Professor, Mendoza School of Business, Notre Dame University, USA (July 2014)
“Airbnb; disrupting the hotel industry?”, “Ontier: a global law firm with a local spirit”; “Castillo de Canena”, “Rosa Vañó and Castillo de Canena”, “Uruguay: differentiation of an emerging tourist destination”, “Iberia Airlines: Redesigning its strategy to face new challenges ”, “Abadía Retuerta Winery: tradition and innovation”, “La industria vitivinícola española”, “El lanzamiento de Clickair y su fusión con Vueling”, “Inditex”.
• Gerwe, O. & Silva, R. (2019). “Clarifying the Sharing Economy: The Concept, Typology, Antecedents and Effects”. Forthcoming in Academy of Management Perspectives
• Silva, R., Gerwe, O. & Becerra, M. (2017). “Corporate brand and hotel performance: A resource-based perspective”. Journal of Business Research, Vol. 79: 23-30
• Becerra, M., Silva, R., & Gerwe, O. (2016). “Competitiveness and Performance of Chain Hotels”. Routledge Handbook of Hotel Chain Management.
• Silva, R. (2015). “Multimarket contact, differentiation, and prices of chain hotels”. Tourism Management, Vol. 48: 305-315