Edgar Mayoral Palanca
Edgar Mayoral Palanca
Edgar Mayoral combines an extensive academic background in strategy with a wide professional experience in the banking sector. He teaches General Management, and Strategy Implementation courses to the Executive MBA in IE Business School, as well as Executive Education advanced programs. “Experience is crucial when helping students to go beyond the theory and develop wining strategies that can be successfully implemented”, says this Aeronautical Engineer, that switched form aircraft designing to complex derivative transactions in the financial markets after an MBA in IESE and Kellogg School of Management. Among his areas of interest are internationalization, banking and automobile industry, as well as personal strategy.
Edgar Mayoral has been working in the banking sector for more than twenty years in different senior positions. Since 2008 he works in Santander Consumer Finance as Executive Vice President, global head of the auto finance business, being member of the Executive Committee and reporting directly to the CEO. Among others, he heads the captive partnerships with car manufacturers, where Santander Consumer Finance has become the leading player in Europe.
Edgar Mayoral started his professional career in private banking and rapidly moved to the wholesale business, having spent many years in front office positions in marketing, sales and structuring in global markets, with a wide international career in New York, London and Madrid. He has set up several new business lines, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and participated in international diversification processes. He has been Managing Director, head of strategy and business development for the Global Banking and Markets Division in Santander Group. “The wholesale banking business is a privileged place to get to know a wide range of customers, corporations and institutions in the most relevant sectors, being an active player in their strategic development”, he says.
• 2008 to present. Executive Vice President. Global Head of Auto Finance Business. Member of the executive committee. Santander Consumer Finance
• 2003 to 2007. Managing Director, Head of Strategic Planning and business development. Global Banking and Markets. Santander Group (Madrid)
• 2002 to 2003. Executive Director, Head of sales for global corporates. Santander Group, Global Markets (Madrid)
• 2000 to 2001. CEO, Centradia (London)
• 1994 to 1999. Vicepresident, Structured Derivatives, Santander Financial Products (New York)
• 1991 to 1994. Associate, Santander Investment (Madrid)
• 2001 to present. Adjunct Professor of Strategy, IE Business School
• 2000 to 2001. Professor of General Management, Universidad Carlos III
• 1986 to 1989. Associate Research Professor, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
• MBA, IESE, Spain and Kellogg School of Management, Chicago (USA)
• Aeronautical Engineer, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain)