Juan Pedro Gómez
As a financial economist, there is nothing Juan Pedro Gomez likes better than to bury himself in complex statistics. But far from basing the assumptions he draws purely on these numbers or on abstract theories far removed from the real world, the work of Prof Gomez is deeply rooted in the human psyche. “I get totally absorbed when I’m looking at the figures”, he says. “Particularly when I’m working with something that applies to a human relationship. There’s always asymmetry of information – and that applies to human relationship of all orders”.
The human element is also what Prof Gomez finds governs one of his main lines of research – stock portfolio management and how fund managers, constrained from short selling, make investment decisions if they are given performance-related pay incentives. “It’s all about human behaviour and how that affects finance in a micro sense, through mutual fund performance, and in a macro sense in asset pricing”.
Having taught in universities in New York, Mexico City, Kampala, Barcelona and Oslo, Prof Gomez is able to bring a global perspective to his work on corporate finance, international asset pricing and portfolio management delegation. And, as well as bringing sophisticated theories and numerical calculations to bear on his subjects, Prof Gomez is collaborating with other academics to use empirical data to support his research findings. His work has been published in academic journals like the Journal of Finance, Economic Theory or Finance Research Letters.
• PhD in Economics, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid (Spain)
• BA in Economics, Universidad Complutense, Madrid (Spain)
• BA in Actuarial Sciences, Universidad Complutense, Madrid (Spain)
• Associate Professor, IE, Madrid, 2009 to present
• Director of the Finance Department, IE, 2006 to 2009
• Assistant Professor, IE, Madrid, 2004 to 2009
• Visiting Professor, SAIF, JiaoTong University, Shanghai, China, September and October 2011
• Visiting Professor, Stern School of Business, NYU, USA, January through July 2009
• Visiting Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, 2002 to 2004
• Associate Professor, Department of Financial Economics, Norwegian School of Management, BI, Oslo, Norway, 1999 to 2004
• Visiting Assistant Professor, Centro de Investigación Económica, ITAM, Mexico City, Mexico, 1996 to 1998
• Gómez, J.P., Mironov, M. (2019). Tax Enforcement and Income Diversion: Evidence after Putin’s election in 2000. Journal of Law, Finance and Accounting, Vol. 4 (1): 35-65
• Ma, L., Tang, Y., Gómez, J.P. (2019). “Portfolio Manager Compensation in the U.S. Mutual Fund Industry”. Journal of Finance, Vol. 74(2): 587-638
• Gete, P. & Gómez, J.P. (2018). “Dealing with Overleverage: Restricting Leverage vs. Restricting Variable Compensation”. The Quarterly Journal of Finance, Vol. 8(1): 1–29
• Gete, P. & Gómez, J.P. (2015). “Compensation Contracts and Fire Sales”. Journal of Financial Stability, Vol. 18: 154-171