I currently work as full time Associate Professor at IE University in Madrid, Spain. Previously, I have worked at Universidad Carlos III in Madrid, ITAM in Mexico City, BI in Oslo, UPF in Barcelona, Stern-NYU in New York, and the McCombs School of Business at UT Austin.
My teaching interests include Corporate Finance, Valuation and Portfolio Management in undergraduate, MBAs and Executive Programs.
The overarching topic of my research is compensation incentives. I have studied how to design the compensation of mutual fund portfolio managers (with an emphasis in understanding the role of performance benchmarks) and how to explain the contracts that we observe in practice in the light of agency and contract theory. I also have made contributions on mutual fund performance and fees, corporate governance in developing countries, and executive compensation. Currently, I am interested in ESG metrics in executive compensation, and pay-inequality within firms and its relation with firm performance.
My work has been published in Economic Theory, Finance Research Letters, Journal of Finance, Journal of Finance and Quantitative Analysis, and Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, among other academic outlets. My articles have been cited by the New York Times, the Financial Times, and several Spanish newspapers, including El País.
• PhD in Economics, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid (Spain), 2000
• BA in Economics, Universidad Complutense, Madrid (Spain), 1992
• BA in Actuarial Sciences, Universidad Complutense, Madrid (Spain), 1992
• Associate Professor, Finance Department at IE University, Madrid, 2009 – Present
• Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Finance, McCombs School of Business, Ut at Austin, January – June 2019
• Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Finance, Nova School of Business and Economics, Lisbon, April – May 2018
• Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Finance, Nova School of Business and Economics, Lisbon, April – June 2017
• Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Finance, Stern School Of Business At NYU, New York, 2012 – 2013
• Visiting Associate Professor, Saif, Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, September – October 2011
• Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Finance, Stern School of Business at NYU, New York, January – July 2009
• Chair Of the Finance Department at IE Business School, 2006 – 2009
• Assistant Professor, Finance Department at IE University, Madrid 2004 – 2009
• Visiting Assistant Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Departament D’economia I Empresa, Barcelona, 2002 – 2004
• Associate Professor, Department of Financial Economics, Norwegian School of Management, Bi, Oslo, August 1999 to August 2004 (On Leave From September 2002 To August 2004), 1999 – 2004
• Visiting Assistant Professor, Centro de Investigación Económica, Itam, Mexico City, 1996 – 1998
• Gomez, J.P., Prado, M., Zambrana, R. “Capital Commitment and Performance: The Role of Mutual Fund Charges”. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis
• Gomez, J.P., De Vito, A. “Estimating the COVID-19 Cash Crunch: Global Evidence and Policy” (with Antonio De Vito), Journal of Accounting and Public Policy 39(2), March-April 2020
• Gomez, J.P., Ma, L., Tang, Y. “Portfolio Manager Compensation in the U.S. Mutual Fund Industry”. Journal of Finance, volume 74(2), 587 – 638, April 2019