Ramón Díaz Bernardo
Ramón Díaz Bernardo
An expert in strategic marketing, some years ago Professor Ramón Díaz Bernardo decided to extend his field of research to tourism and hotel marketing strategy. This is his passion, which led him to create the Executive Master in Tourism Management at IE in 2002, and work as a consultant for many tourism institutions and hotel chains in Spain, Europe and Latin America.
In order to consolidate his position as an authority on this field, in 2005 he moved to Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, where he spent a year at the School of Hotel Administration as Visiting Professor, doing research and teaching doing research and teaching in aspects related with tourism marketing, hotel marketing strategy and franchising in the hospitality and restaurant industry. In 2007 he was designated coordinator of the Spanish Tourism Strategic Plan 2020 by the Spanish Ministry of Tourism.
Professor Díaz Bernardo holds a degree in Mining Engineering from Universidad de Oviedo (Spain), an MSc in Engineering by the University of Nottingham, an MBA from ESDEN Business School (Madrid) and he is a Doctor in Business Administration (Ph.D.) from IESE Business School. He is an active member of the Academy of Marketing and the American Marketing Association, where he is a regular contributor at their annual meetings. Furthermore he has been visiting professor at Cornell University (USA), Reykjavik University (Iceland), IAE Business School (Argentina) and Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (Chile), among other international business schools.
• PhD in Management, Instituto de Estudios Superiores de Empresa, IESE (Barcelona)
• Master in Business Administration – ExMBA, ESDEN (Madrid)
• MSc Engineering, University of Nottingham, England (UK)
• Degree in Mining Engineering, Universidad de Oviedo (Asturias)
• Executive Director of Master in Tourism Management (2002 – 2006)
• Planning Director, Minas de Figaredo, S.A., Asturias (1992 – 1996)
• Consulting work for groups like AC Hoteles, AC Nielsen, Carrefour, Ford Motor
• Company, Ford España, La Sirena, Media Planning, Siemens AG, Taylor Nelson Sofres
Teaching and Research Experience
• Professor of Marketing, IE (2000 – present)
• Visiting Professor Cornell University (2005 – present)
• Visiting Professor Reykjavik University (Iceland) (2007 – 2008)
• Visiting Professor Universidad Adolfo Ibañez (Chile) (2000 – 2005)
• Visiting Professor IAE, Buenos Aires (Argentina) (1998 – 2000)
• Associate Professor of Financial Strategy, EADA, Barcelona (1998)
• Author of more than 20 articles and case studies related with marketing strategy and tourism marketing
• Diaz-Bernardo, R. (2014). “The Effect of the Economic Downturn in the Way People Travel for Leisure and for Business: The Case of Spain”. International Journal of Management & Information Systems, Vol. 16(3)
• Díaz-Bernardo, R. (2012). “Managing a Franchise System: A Literature Review and a Synthesis”. Journal of Business & Economics Research. Vol. 11(7): 293-296
• Díaz-Bernardo, R. (2011). “An Analysis of Three Confronting Theories to Explain Franchising Supply”. Journal of Business & Economics Research. Vol. 10(3): 167-170