Mikko Ketokivi is a Professor of Operations Management and Organization Design at IE Business School. He received a Ph.D. in business administration from the University of Minnesota, and B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from Iowa State University.
Dr. Ketokivi’s approach to management is best described as a combination of economics, sociology, psychology, management, philosophy, and statistics. In addition to the substantive topics of operations management and organization design, he specializes in methodology: research design, analysis of complex statistical data, measurement, reasoning, scientific rhetoric, and argumentation. “Evidence is important, but the essence of an argument lies in convincing an audience through effective rhetoric. To this end, evidence is merely one ingredient.”
Dr. Ketokivi’s teaches operations management, organization design, and research methods in the MBA, DBA, and PhD programs. In addition to IE Business School, he has taught at HEC School of Management (France), HEC Lausanne (Switzerland), Benedictine University (USA), University of Minnesota (USA), and Helsinki University of Technology (Finland).
Dr. Ketokivi’s research has been published in journals such as the Administrative Science Quarterly, Academy of Management Review, Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management. In 2015-2017, he served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Operations Management, one of the premier journals in operations management research. In addition, he serves or has served on the editorial boards of Academy of Management Review, Decision Sciences, and Production and Operations Management. “Academic publications are obviously an essential part of professional legitimacy. We must, howvere, never shy away from leaving the safe havens of academic discourse and convenient assumptions to tackle real problems faced by real organizations. Toward this end, we must be willing to abandon our paradigms and embrace the complexity, the dilemma, and the ambiguity that is organizational life.”
• Ph.D. in Business Administration, University of Minnesota, USA
• M.Sc. in Business Administrative Sciences, Iowa State University, USA
• B.Sc. in Business Administration, Iowa State University, USA
• Professor, IE Business School (2010 – present)
• Senior Fellow, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy (2006 – present)
• Distinguished Visiting Scholar, Benedictine University (2015 – present)
• Distinguished Senior Fellow, Hanken School of Economics (2010 – 2011, 2019 – 2020)
• Visiting Professor, HEC Lausanne (2009 – 2010)
• Visiting Professor, IE Business School (2007 – 2009)
• Affiliate Professor, HEC School of Management, Paris (2006 – 2007)
• Senior Lecturer, Helsinki University of Technology (2006 – 2010)
• Through his private consultancy, Dr. Ketokivi has worked in close collaboration with both public and private research organizations as well as private enterprises, providing his clients and partners research services and consulting on the analysis of complex statistical data in particular. He has also consulted and trained managers on organization design and strategic operations management in various industries
• Dr. Ketokivi is one of the founding partners and former chairman of the board of Pama Hockey, a Finnish high-tech industrial firm that both designs and manufactures high-end composite ice hockey sticks, as well as develops the production technology used in their manufacturing
• Ketokivi, M., Mahoney, J.T. (2023). “Efficient Organization: A Governance Approach”. Oxford: Oxford University Press
• Ketokivi, M., Mantere, S. (2021). “What Warrants our Claims? A Methodological Evaluation of Argument Structure.” Journal of Operations Management 67(6): 755-776.
• Bhardwaj, A., Ketokivi, M. (2020). “Bilateral Dependency and Supplier Performance Ambiguity in Supply Chain Contracting: Evidence from the Railroad Industry.” Journal of Operations Management 67(1): 49-70