Alberto Manzanares Secades
Counsel at Ontier, he was previously partner at Clifford Chance from 2000 to 2014 and Of Counsel until 2018. Alberto has over 30 years’ professional experience in Banking & Finance Law. . He joined Clifford Chance as a partner in 2000, and is currently the Head of the Banking and Finance Department.
He has a Ph.D.in Civil Law (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid) and is a professor at IE Law School. He has been Visiting Researcher at Fordham University in 2016 and at Harris Manchester College (Oxford) in 2018.
In Chambers Global 2017, he was recognized in the category Spain, Banking & Finance: “Alberto Manzanares has long been considered a leading figure in the Spanish banking market, with sources describing him as ""highly recommendable."" He brings tremendous experience in diverse financing mandates to his role as of counsel at the firm”.
He was also included in the category Spain, Project Finance: “Alberto Manzanares is widely recognised as a hugely experienced finance lawyer who has played a key role in the development of project finance in Spain. ""Everyone knows him; he is a very senior figure and is important for the firm because of his work originating new deals,"" says one peer”.
- PhD in Civil Law (cum laude), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (1981).
- Graduate in Law, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (1978).
His publications include the following:
- “Reform of the treatment of pledge of future credits in insolvencies”, client briefing of September 22nd, 2015.
- “EU Legislation Pilot – Q1 2015”, client briefing of March 31th, 2015.
- “Another step on the road to reform Spanish Insolvency Legislation”, client briefing of September 8th, 2014.
- “Shadow directors and facility agreements”, client briefing of July 1st, 2014.
- “Alteco: Madrid court of appeal reverses first instance decision to block enforcement of share pledge by way of interim injunction”, client briefing of March 7th, 2014.
- “Refinancing agreements: majority approval lowered to 55%”, client briefing of September 30th, 2013.
- “Alteco, Mag Import, Autopista Madrid-Levante, Bami-Newco… Interim decisions causing concern in the financial sector”, client briefing of July 17th, 2013.
- “Courts seek to extend Spanish pre-insolvency cram down mechanism”, client briefing of July 10th, 2013.