Álvaro García Soto possesses more than 18 years of experience exploring the financial area of companies, combined with teaching Accounting and Finance at IE and ICADE. Alvaro considers this double facet a very positive experience as a good combination for applying financial analysis to the business world and vice versa.
Nine years as a financial analyst in three prestigious and top financial institutions such as the Sabadell Group, La Caixa and Bestinver, and his beginnings in accounting and control at J.P Morgan, have allowed him to acquire a solid and practical knowledge of the financial world that he enjoys transmitting in his seminars and courses of Accounting and Financial Analysis. Moreover, he keeps in touch with the financial world and the real economy as adviser of different companies and supporting entrepreneurship initiatives.
Professor García Soto combines these activities with his role as Associate Director of the Global MBA at IE, one of the most innovative MBA programs of this institution, for the global representation of its participants from all over the world, as it is based on the use of different e-learning technologies (videoconferences, discussion forums, blogs, virtual meetings and presentations…) combined with on-site activities in different cities around the world.
Álvaro holds a degree in Economics and Business Studies from Universidad Pontificia de Comillas-ICADE and an International Executive MBA from IE. Professor García Soto`s goal is to achieve that his students lose the fear and not the respect for numbers, that they become capable of learning the financial and accounting language and to read and interpret financial states. He tries to accomplish this challenge day by day during his lectures, arousing interest and getting his students to feel pleasure for learning.
• 2006 - Present: Executive Director of the Global MBA at IE
• 2005: Entrepreneur-founder, counselor and financial advisor of B-sign Accessories -Project awarded with the First Prize Lease Plan in Entrepreneurship
• 2000 - Present: Financial counselor and advisor: Blynk Organics (USA), E-Valora Financial Services SL (Spain), Foundation A Moverse - (Spain and Latin-America)
• 1996 - 2005: Equtiy Financial analyst at Ibersecurities S.V. (Group Banco Sabadell), InverCaixa S.V. (Group La Caixa) and Bestinver S.V. (Group Acciona)
• 1994 - 1996: Control and Accounting assistant at J.P. Morgan, Madrid
• 2006 - Present: Professor of Financial Accounting at IE
• Assistant Professor of Financial Accounting – Business School, Universidad Pontificia Comillas – ICADE, Madrid
• Awarded as Best professor of Part-time MBA programs by the IE Alumni Association (December 2007, July 2009, May 2010 and May 2013)
• Author of Multimedia Cases and Technical notes
• International Executive MBA at the IE
• Candidate for the CFA title (Chartered Financial Analyst), AIMR, USA. (passed Exam I)
• Degree in Economics and Business Studies, Specialized in Finance, at the Universidad Pontificia de Comillas-ICADE, Madrid, Spain