David Gómez-Ullate is Professor of Applied Mathematics and Head of Mathematics at the School of Science & Technology. Prior to his appointment at IE University, he held full time research positions at McGill University, Centre de Recherches Mathématiques (Montréal), Università di Bologna and the Institute of Mathematical Sciences in Madrid, and a tenured position at Complutense University of Madrid.
His research interests span a wide range of topics, ranging from mathematical physics and approximation theory to applied machine learning and data science. His major contribution is the theory of exceptional orthogonal polynomials, which has earned him international recognition expressed as plenary talks in the main conferences of the field, and invited seminars at Cambridge, Edinburgh, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Rome, among others. He has written more than 60 research papers in journals like Advances in Mathematics, Studies in Applied Mathematics, Foundations of Computational Mathematics, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Communications in Mathematical Physics, Journal of Physics A, Physica D, etc. some of which are highly cited and received international prizes.
For the past 10 years he has specialized in knowledge transfer of mathematics to industry. He is currently President of the Knowledge Transfer Commission of the Royal Spanish Mathematical Society, and a member of its Governing Board. In 2016 he received a Leonardo Scholarship from the BBVA Foundation for a project on credit card fraud detection. He has coordinated 8 knowledge transfer contracts with industry in the financial, fisheries, biomedical, legaltech and aeronautical sectors. He is currently leading Smart Shipping: a project on optimization of shipping routes based on oceanographic data and forecasts, that aims to have a considerable impact on decarbonization of the maritime sector.
Together with former PhD students and postdocs, Prof. Gómez-Ullate founded and serves as scientific advisor of the technological startup Komorebi AI.
• Co-founder and Scientific Advisor, Komorebi AI, Madrid , Spain, 2019 – Present
• Royal Spanish Mathematical Society
– Member of the Governing Board 2020 – Present
– President of Knowledge Transfer Commission 2021 – Present
• Distinguished Researcher and Director of UCA Datalab, University of Cádiz, 2018 – 2022
• Researcher and member of Severo Ochoa Executive Committee, ICMAT, 2013 – 2018
• Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics, Universidad Complutense, 2009 – 2018
• Ramón y Cajal Research Fellow
– Universidad Complutense, 2007 – 2009
– Univ. Politecnica de Catalunya, 2004 – 2006
• Marie Curie TMR Postdoctoral fellow, Università di Bologna, 2003 – 2004
• CRM-ISM Postdoctoral Researcher, McGill University and Centre de Recherches Mathématiques (Montréal), 2002 – 2003
• Ph.D. in Physics, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain, 2001
• BSc in Physics, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain, 1996
• Gómez-Ullate, D., Grandati, Y., Milson, R. (2021). “Complete classification of rational solutions of A2n-Painlevé systems”. Advances in Mathematics, Vol. 385: 107770
• García‐Ferrero, M. Á., Gómez‐Ullate, D., Milson, R., Munday, J. (2022). “Exceptional Gegenbauer polynomials via isospectral deformation”. Studies in Applied Mathematics, Vol. 149(2): 324-363
• Precioso, D., Navarro-García, M., Gavira-O’Neill, K., Torres-Barrán, A., Gordo, D., Gallego, V., Gómez-Ullate, D. (2022). “TUN-AI: Tuna biomass estimation with Machine Learning models trained on oceanography and echosounder FAD data”. Fisheries Research, Vol. 250: 106263
• García-Ferrero, M., Gómez-Ullate, D., Milson, R. (2019). “A Bochner type characterization theorem for exceptional orthogonal polynomials”. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 472(1): 584-626