Before joining IE Business School, Erik was the first hired member of the founding faculty at ESMT in Berlin, an international business school start-up sponsored by corporate blue-chips. This turned him into an “academic entrepreneur” and institution-builder early on. Apart from his IE faculty role, Erik is part of two central pillars at IE Business School, being responsible for the entire MBA portfolio, as well as contributing to IE Executive Education. In addition, Erik holds a visiting professorship at ESMT and has recently been appointed Executive Education Fellow at the University of Cambridge.
Since 2003, apart from building a new business school from zero, Erik has taught over 1,000 international executives in different learning settings. He has personally directed over 35 individual executive education programs, ranging in complexity from three straight days to modular six weeks. Moreover, he has designed and launched MBA and EMBA degree programs, as well as a diverse portfolio of open enrollment programs for executives.
Erik has also accumulated design expertise for customized programs while teaching and developing executives from companies such as Allianz, Banco Espirito Santo, Coca-Cola, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Telekom, E.ON, Elster, HVB Group, KPMG, MAN, McDonald’s, Postbank, Sampo Bank, and URSA. Moreover, he has been teaching as visiting professor in executive programs at IMD, London Business School, IEDC Bled School of Management, TKK Helsinki University of Technology, and CKGSB (Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business).
Erik’s research and teaching interests include the interfaces between marketing, strategy and innovation. He has published articles in European Management Journal and Journal of General Management. Erik has participated in programs for faculty development at Harvard Business School, IMD in Switzerland, and Richard Ivey in Canada.
• PhD, Marketing and Strategy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
• MPhil, Management Studies, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
• MBA, Business Administration, George Mason University, Virginia, United States
• 2018 - Present: Vice President of Global Alumni and Talent & Careers
• 2009 - Present: Professor of Marketing and General Management, IE Business School
• 2009 - Present: Associate Dean of MBA Programs, IE Business School
• 2009 - Present: Academic Director, Corporate Learning Group, IE Executive Education
• 2003 - 2008: Assistant Professor, European School of Management and Technology (ESMT), Germany
• Senior Manager, Coopers & Lybrand Management Consulting (now PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers)
• Research Associate, The World Bank, Washington, D.C., United States
The Rhythm of the Deal: Negotiation as a Dance- Schlie, E., Young, M.-
NEGOTIATION JOURNAL, VOL. 27(2): 191-203, 2010