An expert in economic analysis of law and commercial law, Francisco Marcos has enjoyed an intensive career in research and teaching in prestigious universities such as Harvard, Georgetown, California (Berkeley) and Bologna. In October 2006 he was appointed General Director of Competition Policy at the Regional Antitrust Authority, stepping down from that position on September 2009. Professor Marcos teaches law at IE, having studied as a Fulbright scholar (1994-1995) and having enjoyed a scholarship for the Real Colegio de San Clemente de los Españoles (1997-1998). His latest research hinges on the field of competition law, corporate law and securities regulation. He has also given classes at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universidad de Cantabria, Universidad Carlos III (Madrid), Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona), Europea de Madrid and Antonio Nebrija (Madrid).
“In my PhD thesis I analysed contractual tools used by foreign firms entering the US stock market, researching the transnational problems that exist in the different stock exchanges, which has hardly been studied at all from a legal perspective”. He received the Avvocato Mario Jacchia Award from Bologna University for the best doctoral thesis in commercial law. His thesis has been published by Thomson-Civitas in 2008 with the title Los “Depositary receipts”. La negociación cruzada de valores en los mercados extranjeros.
He is member of the Editorial Board of the European Business Organization Law Review (TMC Asser Press) and of European Company Law (Kluwer Law International), and has worked with internationally renowned experts like Stefan Riesenfeld, professor at Boalt Hall School of Law (UC Berkeley), Angel Rojo, chair holder at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid; and Renzo Costi, chair holder at Bologna University.
Professor Marcos holds a law degree from Universidad de Oviedo, a master of laws form the University of California in Berkeley, and a doctorate from the Real Colegio de España in Bologna. He worked as a lawyer in LANDWELL, an currently he does as a consultant in ECONLAW STRATEGIC CONSULTING, advising governments, companies and firms on different matters in the area of market regulation and antitrust law.
• PhD in Law, Universitá degli Studi di Bologna. Real Colegio de San Clemente de España (Italy). Awarded with Cum Laude
• Master of Laws, University of California in Berkeley (USA)
• PIL, Harvard Law School (USA)
• Law Degree, Universidad de Oviedo (Spain)
• General Director of Competition Policy, Madrid Competition Court (2006 - 2009)
• Director of the IE Observatory on Competition Policy (2004 - 2006)
• Expert Consultant, Econlaw Strategic Consulting (2005 - 2006)
• Lawyer and Jr. Associate of the Department of Legal and Tax Services, Landwell (1994 - 1995)
Teaching and Research Experience
• Professor of Law, IE (2002 - present)
• Associate Professor, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (2008 - 2009)
• Associate professor, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (2007 - 2008)
• Head of Studies, Department of Law, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija (2000 - 2002)
• Associate Professor, Universidad de Cantabria (1999 - 2000)
• Visiting Professor, Universidad Pompeu Fabra (several years)
• Research Assistant, Yubarta and Harvard Law School (1995)
• Research Assistant to Prof. Stefan Riesenfeld, Boalt Hall School of Law (1995)
- Marcos, F., Barry J. Rodger & Miguel Sousa Ferro. (2019). “The EU Antitrust Damages Directive: Transposition in the Member States”. Oxford University Press 2018, 544 págs.
- Marcos, F. (2017). “The Prohibition of Single-firm Market Abuses: U.S. Monopolisation versus E.U. Abuse of Dominance”. International Company and Commercial Law Review, Nº9: 338-345
- Marcos, F. (2016). “Blowing Hot and Cold: The last word of the Supreme Court on setting of fines for competition law infringements in Spain”. Competition and Regulation- Revista De Concorrença e Regulaçao, Vol. 35: 19-34
- Marcos, F. (2015). “Entertainment made in Spain: competition in the bullfighting industry”. Competition Law Review, Vol. 11(1): 61-81