Manuel Bermejo is an expert in Entrepreneurship. In his own words, “My vocation is to be an entrepreneur, which has given me a complete insight into the different categories of entrepreneurial activity: franchises, managing new companies and SMEs, and family businesses”. Manuel has taught at IE since 1992, combining his teaching and management duties at IE with a wide range of activities in the corporate world. “Entrepreneurial work has a broad scope. It’s not only about newly created companies, but also large organizations that are increasingly concerned about maintaining their entrepreneurial spirit, which permits them to develop their business and thus maintain a competitive position. The entrepreneur needs help in finding the best funding options. We have to help family businesses (which comprise two thirds of businesses in the world) to be more competitive and ensure their continuity. The franchising formula makes for more enterprising societies, hence my longstanding interest in them”.
Professor Bermejo has authored numerous case studies, research articles and books, including “Crea tu Propia Empresa” (McGraw Hill, 2003) and “La Creación de la Empresa Propia” (McGraw Hill, 1994). He regularly collaborates with Spanish and Latin American media agents. Furthermore he speaks at numerous conferences and forums, such as the European Franchising Congress, Proyecto Espacio (Mexico), at Universidad de San Andrés (Argentina), at Universidad Católica de Argentina, the First National Franchising Congress in Colombia, the annual meeting of the Colombian Association for SMEs (ACOPI), Capital & Corporate, etc.
Professor Bermejo holds a PhD in Economy from Universidad de Granada, an MBA from IE, a Degree in Agronomous Engineering from Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and a Diploma in Entrepreneurship from Babson College. He is President of Agrexpansion SA and World Wide Tobacco Spain S.A.; the Director of Top Management Programs at IE, and Director and founder of the Senior Management Programme for Family Businesses. He is a member of the boards of directors of several companies.
• PhD in Economy (specialized in Family Businesses), Universidad de Granada
• MBA, IE
• BSc in Engineering, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
• Diploma in Corporate Entrepreneurship, Babson College, (USA)
• President of Agrexpansion SA and World Wide Tobacco Spain S.A.
• 2002 - Present: Director of Senior Management Programmes, IE
• 2000 - Present: Director of the Senior Management Programme for Family Businesses
• 1995 - 1998: Director of the MBA Programmes, IE
• Associate Director of the Chair in Family Businesses, IE and Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico)
• 2000 - 2002: Country Manager, Najeti Ventures, NAJETI
• 1995 - 1999: Director of Postgraduate Training and MBA programmes, IE
• 1997 - 2000: Director of IE Entrepreneurship Department
• 1998 - 2000: Director of International Projects and Clients, Executive Education, IE
• 1988 - 1992: Founder and Manager, Agro Services, (Spain)
• Member of several boards of directors and advisory committees of different companies
• Consultant for franchises, family businesses and new businesses
Teaching and Research Experience
• 1992 - Present: Professor of Entrepreneurship, IE
• Author of “Hacia al empresa familiar líder” (Prentice Hall, 2008); author of numerous cases, research articles and books, co-author of “Crea tu propia Empresa” (McGraw-Hill, 2003), “La Creación de la Empresa Propia” (McGraw Hill, 1994) and “Guía práctica del Franquiciador” (Tormo, 1988)