St Sebastian, Spain, 1961.
He has dedicated his entire professional life to university life, including the three facets of teaching, research and management. The social and cultural history of the Middle Ages has centered his teaching and research work, areas on which he has published an extensive number of books and articles. Some of his latest publications are “Palabra, Imagen, Poder: Enseñar el Orden en la Edad Media”, 2015; “History and Art in the convent of Santa Cruz la Real of Segovia “, 2018; “Sobre los orígenes del culto jacobeo”, 2019.
Current research groups and professional associations:
- CARMEN (Cooperative for the Advancement of Research through a Medieval European Network).
- Sociedad Española de Estudios Medievales.
- Journal of Iberian Medieval Studies (Routledge, USA). Advisory board member.
- Caminos del Románico. Scientific Committee Director.
- IE University. Vice-Rector for Student Affairs, 2010-Today
- Universidad de Alcalá (Spain). Associate professor, 1995-1999.
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas – Centro de Humanidades (Madrid). Researcher, 1999-2000.
- SEK University (Segovia, Spain). Professor and Art History Bachelor Director. 2001-2007.
- Middlebury College in Madrid (Spain). Professor, 2005-2011.
- Institut für Franziskanische Geschichte (Münster, Germany). Visiting professor, July 1997.
- The Hill Manuscript Library-College of St Benedict (Minnesota, USA). Visiting professor. September 2008.
- University of Oxford (UK) – Oxford Centre for Medieval History. Visiting professor. Sept. 2012 – July 2013.
- IE University. Professor. 2008-
- Currently: Stanford University, Madrid campus permanent professor. Stanford profile
- Director of the IEU Antiquity & Middle Ages Research Center. Website
- Bachelor in Philosophy. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain). 1986.
- Specialization course in Paleography. Universidad de Navarra (Spain). 1988.
- PhD in Medieval History. Universidad de Deusto (Spain). 1994.