Miguel Otero Iglesias
Miguel Otero-Iglesias is an Adjunct Professor of Practice in International Political Economy at the School of Global and Public Affairs at IE University and Senior Analyst at Elcano Royal Institute. In addition, he is Senior Research Fellow at the EU-Asia Institute at ESSCA School of Management in France. Over the past decade, he has been a Visiting Research Fellow at the Institute of World Economics and Politics (IWEP) at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences in China and the Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) in Germany; a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science and Adjunct Lecturer at University of Oxford. He holds a PhD in International Political Economy from Oxford Brookes University and an MA in International Relations from the University of Manchester.
His main areas of expertise are: international and comparative political economy, international and European monetary affairs, the international financial architecture, global economic governance and the power triangle between the US, the EU and China and theories of money. He is the author of The Euro, the Dollar and the Global Financial Crisis: Currency Challenges seen from Emerging Markets (New York, Routledge, 2015). He has published in the leading academic journals in his field such as Review of International Political Economy, The World Economy, Journal of Common Market Studies and New Political Economy and contributed as a columnist or expert for international media such as El País, Financial Times, Libération, China Daily, Foreign Affairs, Reuters, Bloomberg and The New York Times, and offered policy advice to the Spanish Government, the OECD and the European Commission. He is a co-founder and coordinator of the European Think Tank Network on China (ETNC).
• Senior Analyst, International Political Economy (IPE), Elcano Royal Institute, Madrid, Spain, 2014 – Present
• Advisor to the Spanish Government and the European Commission (intermittently since 2012)
• Regular Op-Ed contributor for international outlets (regularly since 2012)
• Adjunct Professor of Practice in International Political Economy (IPE), IE School of Global and Public Affairs, Madrid. 2018 – Present
• Adjunct Professor in IPE, School of International Relations, IE University. 2014 – 2018
• Adjunct Professor in IPE, Universidad Pontificia ICAI-ICADE Comillas, Madrid. 2014 – 2017
• Assistant Professor in IPE, ESSCA School of Management, Paris. 2012 – 2014
• Postdoctoral Research Fellow in IPE, Centre for International Studies, London School of Economics and Political Science. 2011 – 2012
• Adjunct Lecturer in Regional Integration and Multilevel Governance, Department of International Development, University of Oxford. 2011 – 2012
• PhD in International Political Economy, Department of International Relations and Business School, Oxford Brookes University, 2011
• MA in International Political Economy, Department of Government, University of Manchester, 2005
• Licentiateship in Communication Studies, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 2002