Assistant Professor, Law
Dr. Antonios Kouroutakis is Assistant Professor at IE University in Madrid, Spain and he teaches Constitutional Law and the Regulation of New Technologies and Statrups. Dr Kouroutakis has taught a variety of law courses and conducted research at the City University of Hong Kong, the Free University of Berlin, FVG Sao Paolo, and Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Dr Kouroutakis received a DPhil in Law from University of Oxford and an LLM from UCLA School of Law. Dr. Kouroutakis’ research interests lie mainly in the field of constitutional engineering, public law and regulation.
In particular, Dr. Kouroutakis is interested in the concept of separation of powers, rule of law, emergency legislation, and the regulation of new technologies; he has published widely on these topics in international and peer reviewed journals, and his work has been cited in numerous reports.
His widely reviewed book on the ‘Constitutional Value of Sunset Clauses’ (Routledge 2016) has been quoted at the House of Commons (UK) during the debates about the inclusion of a sunset clause in the Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Bill.
Dr. Kouroutakis work has appeared at Public Law Review, Statute Law Review, Stanford Journal of International Law, Journal of High Technology Law and the Cambridge International Law Journal. Recent publications include ‘Anti Democratic Political Parties; Models of Reaction and the Strategic Democracy’ (2018), ‘The Role of the Judiciary and the Supreme Court in the Constitution Making Process’ (2019) and ‘Doctrinal Challenges for the Legality of Smart Contracts: Lex Cryptographia or a new, ‘smart’ way to contract?’ (2019).
• PhD in Public Law (DPhil), University of Oxford (UK)
• Master in Law (LLM), UCLA (USA)
• Degree in Law, Democritus University of Thrace (Greece)
• Assistant Professor in Law, IE Law School, Madrid (Spain), 2017 – present
• Postdoctoral Fellow, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, (Greece), January 2016 – December 2016
• Postdoctoral Fellow, Free University of Berlin, (Germany), June 2015 – November 2015
• Postdoctoral Fellow, City University of Hong Kong, (China), August 2014 – May 2015
• Kouroutakis, A. E. (2019). “Anti-democratic Political Parties as a Threat to Democracy: Models of Reaction and the Strategic Democracy”. Public Law Review, Vol. 29 (4).
• Agnikhotram, S., Kouroutakis, A. E. (2019). “Doctrinal Challenges for the Legality of Smart Contracts: Lex Cryptographia or a New, ‘Smart’ Way to Contract?” The Journal of High Technology Law, Vol. XIX (2).
• Kouroutakis, A. E. (2019). “Courts in the Constitution making process: Paradoxes and Justifications”. In Martn Belov (Eds.). Courts, Politics and Constitutional Law. Routledge.
• Kouroutakis, A., Zhu. (2018). “The Role of the Judiciary and the Supreme court in the Constitution Making Process: the Case of Nepal”. Stanford Journal of International Law, Vol. 55(1): 69-82.