Operations & Technology
Fabrizio Salvador is Professor of Operations and Technology Management and Adjunct Vice-Rector for Applied Research at IE Business School, IE University. Dr. Salvador has been visiting professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Shanghai University, as well as adjunct Faculty Research Associate at Arizona State University. He received a Ph.D in Operations Management from the University of Padova, where he also graduated in Industrial Engineering.
Dr. Salvador research pioneered the application of business analytics methodologies to help organizations foster operational excellence through reusing or recombining their resources (e.g., products, processes, employees, subsidiaries). Strong of this experience, he collaborated with numerous organizations for improving operational performance by leveraging the potential of business analytics. These collaborations include projects with AstraZeneca, DHL, Ernst&Young, IBM, John Deere, Nokia, Telefonica, Xerox, Tetra Pak, Unilever, CAP Gemini, Sener, Permasteelisa, PriceWaterhousCoopers, WeCare, etc.
Dr. Salvador award-winning research is published in top outlets such as Organization Science, MIT Sloan Management Review, Journal of Operations Management, Production and Operations Management and Decision Sciences, among the others. Dr. Salvador has been holding leadership positions in top academic outlets, as founding Department Editor for the Journal of Operations Management, Senior Editor for Production and Operations Management as well as Associate Editor for the Decision Sciences Journal. He has been included in prestigious Thinkers50 Radar ranking of management thought leaders.
• PhD in Operations Management, Universitá di Padova (Italy)
• MS in Engineering and Management, Universitá di Padova (Italy)
• Professor of Operations Management, IE, 2003 to present
• Adjunct Professor, MIT-Zaragoza Logistics Program, 2006 to present
• Research Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Center for Transportation and Logistics & MIT Smart Customization Lab), 2006 to present
• Faculty Research Associate, Arizona State University, 2001 to 2003
• Consulting and advising work for AstraZeneca, DHL, Ernst&Young, IBM, John Deere, Nokia, Telefonica, Xerox, Tetra Pak, Unilever, CAP Gemini, Sener, Permasteelisa, PriceWaterhousCoopers, WeCare, etc.
• Tenhiälä, A., Salvador, F. (2018). “When Communication should be formal”. MIT Sloan Management Review
• Salvador, F. & Bonet, R. (2016). “When the Boss is Away: Manager‐Worker Separation and Worker Performance in a Multisite Software Maintenance Organization”. Organization Science, Vol. 28(2): 244-261
• Salvador, F., Rungtusanatham, J. & Madiedo, J.P. (2015). “Antecedents of Mass Customization Capability: Direct and Interaction Effects”. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 62(4): 618-630
• Salvador, F., Chandrasekaran, A. & Sohail T. (2013). “Product configuration, ambidexterity and firm performance in the context of industrial equipment manufacturing”. Journal of Operations Management. Vol. 32(4): 138–153