Dr. François Delerue is an Assistant Professor of Law and a member of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for Law and Automation (Lawtomation) at IE University. He is also an Associate Fellow of The Hague Program on International Cyber Security and the GEODE Center (Paris 8 University). Additionally, he is a Co-chair of the Committee on Digital Challenges for International Law for the preparation of the 150th Anniversary Conference of the International Law Association. His book ‘Cyber Operations and International Law’ was published by Cambridge University Press in 2020 and was awarded the 2021 Book Prize of the European Society for International Law.
Dr. Delerue conducts research focusing predominantly on the application of international law to cyberspace. More broadly, he is interested in how new technologies and activities (space activities, cyber, robotics and artificial intelligence) challenge international law and international relations. Dr. Delerue regularly lectures at Sciences Po, the International Institute for Humanitarian Law at Sanremo (Italy), the French War College (École de Guerre) and in the Master in Cybersecurity of the French Military Academy of Saint-Cyr. He is frequently invited to present at conferences and give guest lectures internationally.
Prior to joining IE University, Dr. Delerue worked as a Senior Researcher in Cybersecurity Governance at Leiden University and as a Research Fellow in Cyberdefense and International Law at the Institute for Strategic Research (Insitut de Recherche Stratégique de l’École Militaire – IRSEM, Paris, France) of the French Ministry of Defense.
He holds a Master of Laws from the Sorbonne Law School (Paris 1 University), an LL.M. in Comparative, European and International Laws from the European University Institute (EUI, Florence, Italy) and a Ph.D. in Law from the EUI.
• Ph.D. in Law, European University Institute, Italy, 2016
• LL.M., European University Institute, Italy, 2013
• Master of Law, Paris Panthéon-Sorbonne University, France, 2011
• Assistant Professor of Law, IE University, 2022 - Present
• Senior Researcher in Cybersecurity Governance, Leiden University, 2021 - 2022
• Work Package Leader on International Law, EU Cyber Direct (European Cyber Diplomacy Initiative), 2021 - 2022
• Lecturer, Sciences Po Paris, 2017 - 2021
• Research Fellow in Cyberdefense and International Law, Institut de Recherche stratégique de l’École militaire, French Ministry of Defense, 2017 - 2021
• Visiting Scholar, Columbia Law School, Columbia University, 2014 - 2015