Juan Carlos Pastor
Juan Carlos Pastor
Human Resources and Organisational Behaviour
Juan-Carlos Pastor is a professor of organizational behavior and the academic director of the Center for Global Leadership at IE. He teaches courses on Organizational Behavior, Leadership, coaching, and Managing People Skills. He earned an M.A. in Social Psychology from Clark University, a Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior from the State University of New York at Buffalo, and was a Fulbright Scholar at Harvard University. Juan-Carlos Pastor is an active researcher and consultant in the area of leadership development, team dynamics and diversity management.
With experience gained through many consultancy and training projects, Prof Pastor’s teaching techniques – both in the international MBA course and in custom-designed executive and in-company programmes – include action learning workshops looking at areas such as leadership development, coaching, teams, managing diversity and cross-cultural issues. His sessions also cover how to be effective as a manager and how to motivate, set goals and getting commitment from peers and subordinates.
The psychological dimension to leadership in a global world is, he says, becoming more complex. “Competition means organisations need to be more flexible and responsive”, he explains. “But as flatter organisations emerge, with fewer hierarchical levels, informal networks, such as friendship and personal connections, become more relevant – and that’s difficult to manage because it involves personalities”.
Studying the social psychology of these new informal networks and leadership processes is something that fascinates Prof Pastor in his research – and it is a fascination that is reflected in his work, which has been published in journals such as the Academy of Management Journal, Leadership Quarterly Journal, and the Journal of Environment and Behaviour.
• PhD in Organisational Behaviour, State University of New York, Buffalo (USA)
• Fulbright Scholar, Harvard University
• MA in Social Psychology, Clark University (USA)
• BA in Psychology, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain)
• Professor of Business Administration, IE, 2000 to present
• Director of Centre for Leadership, IE, 2002 to present
• Chair of Organisational Behaviour & Human Resources Department, IE, 2001 to 2002
• Assistant Professor of Business Administration, the University of Western Ontario, Richard Ivey School of Business, USA, 1997 to 2000
• Juan Carlos Pastor has extensive experience in consultancy and training and development in the areas of Leadership, Coaching, Teams. Some of the business organizations with which he has collaborated recently are Amadeus, Banesto, Grupo Santander, Morgan Stanley, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Pfizer, Roche, Skandia, Telefónica
• Pastor, J.C., Baruffaldi, L. (2020). “The Role of Regulatory Focus on a Peer-Feedback Process: a Longitudinal Study with MBA Students”. Academy of Management Learning & Education
• Mayo, M., Kakarika, M., Pastor, J.C. (2012). “Aligning or Inflating Your Leadership Self-Image? A Longitudinal Study of Responses to Peer Feedback in MBA Teams”. Academy of Management Learning Education, Vol. 11(4): 631-652
• Mayo, M., Sanchez, J., Pastor, J. C., Rodríguez, A. (2012). “Supervisor and coworker support: a source congruence approach to buffering role conflict and physical stressors”. The International Journal of Human Resource Management. Vol. 23(18): 3872-3889