Luis Diestre is an Associate Professor at IE Business School. He received his PhD in Strategic Management from the University of Southern California in 2009. His research interests evolve around two distinct topics: non-market strategy and R&D activities in the Biopharmaceutical industry. Luis’ work appears in publications such as the Academy of Management Journal, the Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Management Science, the Journal of Management Studies, and Research Policy. He was awarded in 2016 an ERC Starting Grant of about 1.4 million euros to develop a research project on the illegal trade of pharmaceutical drugs. In addition, Luis was included in Poets and Quants’ 2015 list of “The World’s Best 40 Under 40 Business School Professors”. He has been a member of the Editorial Review Board of the Academy of Management Journal (since 2010) and the Strategic Management Journal (since 2014). Currently he serves as an Associate Editor of the Academy of Management Journal.
• PhD in Strategic Management, University of Southern California, USA
• MBA, IE Business School, Spain
• BSc in Telecommunication Engineering, University of Zaragoza, Spain
• ERC Starting Grant, 2017-2022
• Academic Director of the Strategy Area: IE Business School, 2014-2017
• Associate Professor of Strategy: IE Business School, since 2014
• Visiting Professor: University of Surrey, 2014-2017
• Assistant Professor of Strategy: IE Business School, 2009-2014
• Diestre, L., Barber, B., Santaló, J. (Forthcoming) The Friday Effect: Firm Lobbying, the Timing of Drug Safety Alerts, and Drug Side-Effects. Management Science.
• Barber, B., Diestre, L. (Forthcoming). Pushing for Speed or Scope? Pharmaceutical Lobbying and FDA Drug Review. Strategic Management Journal.
• Diestre, L., Santaló, J. (Forthcoming). Why do Firms Suffer Differently From Input Stigmatization? The Costs of Removing Stigmatized Inputs. Organization Science.
• Diestre, L. (2018). “Safety crises and R&D outsourcing alliances: Which governance mode minimizes negative spillovers?”. Research Policy, Vol. 47(10): 1904-1917
• Diestre, L., Rajagopalan, N., Dutta, S. (2015). “Constraints in Acquiring and Utilizing Directors’ Experience: An Empirical Study of New Market Entry in the Pharmaceutical Industry”. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 36(3):339–359
• Diestre, L., Rajagopalan, N. (2014). “Response to Mason and Drakeman’s Commentary on “Fishing for Sharks: Partner Selection in Biopharmaceutical R&D Alliances”. Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 35(10):1566–1568
• Diestre, L., Rajagopalan, N. (2014). “Toward an Input-Based Perspective on Categorization: Investor Reactions to Chemical Accidents”. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 57(4):1130-1153