Operations & Technology
Luis Vivanco is an Adjunct Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management and of Data Analytics for Decision Making at IE Business School.
Luis main academic interest is the use of data analytics and Internet of Things as means of improving operational excellence and helping manufacturing companies migrate to product-service bundles. He has written more than 15 cases on operations but also in strategy and change management. Co-authored the book “The Value Chain Shift: Seven Future Challenges Facing Top Executives” with foreword by Mark Foster, former CEO of Accenture Consulting. His latest case deals with how a telecoms operator uses data analytics to maximise return on network investment. As part of his writing interest he has also written several fiction works, one of which won the IE Humanities Prize in the category of Short Story.
A native Mexican he has lived in the US, the UK, Switzerland and Spain. He holds both Mexican and Spanish nationalities. When not working or writing, Luis is most likely to be found with his wife and two children or riding his bicycle in the roads of the north of Madrid.
• Business Development and SCM Consultant 2008 to date. Advised MNC in the establish ment of operations in Europe.
• Partner – IG Expansión. 2003 - 2008 A venture capital and business development firm. Led the development of business plans, start-up and operation, including securing funding, of two new companies.
• British Telecom PLC. 1996-2002 International Development Director and Corporate Strategy Manager.
• BBVA – Bancomer 1994-1996 – Strategy Development manager
• GE Appliances. 1989-1992 Supply Chain Management manager
• Adjunct Professor of Operations and Supply Chain Management, IE Business School and University. 2015 - date
• Adjunct Professor of Data Analytics for Decision Making, IE Business School and University. 2015 - date
• Research Associate, IMD Business School. 1996-2017
• MBA, IMD International, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1993.
• MSc Information Management, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK. 1988-1989
• BSc Industrial Engineering. Tecnológico de Monterrey, San Luis Potosí, México. 1983-1988.
• Strategic Negotiations Program, Harvard Business School, 2000
• Commercial Experience Program, IMD Business School, 1997