Data Science & Technology
Rafael Ballester-Ripoll has recently joined the IE School of Human Sciences and Technology as an Assistant Professor in the area of Data Science. Prior to that, he was a Postdoctoral Associate at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH) and at the University of Zurich (UZH). He holds a PhD in Computer Science from UZH (2017) as well as BSc and MSc degrees in Mathematics and Computer Science from the Technical University of Catalonia-UPC (2012).
His research interests lie in data analysis, explainable artificial intelligence, and visual analytics using modeling tools such as low-rank decompositions, tensor networks, and neural networks. His contributions in large-scale scientific visualization, data compression, and uncertainty quantification using these tools have been published in IEEE Transactions in Visualization and Computer Graphics, Computers & Graphics, and the SIAM/ASA Journal on Uncertainty Quantification, among other journals. He also partakes regularly in academic conferences including IEEE VIS, EuroVis, SIAM meetings, and various symposia on tensor methods.
• Ballester-Ripoll, R., Lindstrom, P., Pajarola, R. (2020). “TTHRESH: Tensor Compression for Multidimensional Visual Data”. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol. 26 (9): 2891-2903
• Pajarola, R., Suter, S.K., Ballester-Ripoll, R., Yang, H. (2020). “Tensor Approximation for Multidimensional and Multivariate Data”. In Özarslan, E., Schultz, Th., Zhang, E., Fuster, A. (Eds.). Anisotropy across Fields and Scales. Springer
• Ballester-Ripoll, R., Paredes, E.G., Pajarola, R. (2019). “Sobol Tensor Trains for Global Sensitivity Analysis”. Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 183: 311-322
• Halter, G., Ballester-Ripoll, R., Flückiger, B., Pajarola, R. (2019). “VIAN: A Visual Annotation Tool for Film Analysis”. Computer Graphics Forum, Vol. 38 (3): 119-129
• Ballester-Ripoll, R., Pajarola, R. (2019). “Tensor Decompositions for Integral Histogram Compression and Look-up”. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol. 25 (2): 1435-1446
• Ballester-Ripoll, R., Steiner, D., Pajarola, R. (2018). “Multiresolution Volume Filtering in the Tensor Compressed Domain”. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol. 24 (10): 2714-2727