“I am in a real company. When I give advice, I speak directly with the CEO, and I will help implement the advice I give”. With these words, Professor Tomás Garicano defines his dual role: professor and businessperson. The quality of his teaching is based on more than twenty years of experience, further strengthened by contact with a broad range of sectors. The result is classes from the school of real-life business: “My classes are 80% academic and 20% reality. I like to prepare students for what they are going to find out there”.
He applied that same philosophy at IE for the seven years he served as dean of the School (1987-1994). Under his deanship, the school underwent a revolution, laying the foundations for its current position of leading international business school “We compared our MBA programs to those of Insead and London Business School. We brought a large number of foreign professors for the MBA elective courses and we sent our professors abroad to do doctoral programs”, recalls Professor Garicano.
With a law degree from Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and an MBA from IESE, Tomás Garicano began his career as member of the treasury management group of Imperial Chemical Industries. It was the first step in a long and successful career, that led him to hold diverse management positions in companies like NH Hotels or Cortefiel. In 1985 he started to give classes at IE Business School and, two years later he became dean.
As a professor, he specialises in finance and advanced finance, and shares his expertise in classes on the MBA and Master in Corporate Law programs. He has authored numerous teaching notes and regularly contributes to mainstream media agencies. Professor Garicano also has a profound interest in the field of corporate governance, as evidenced by his study on Information of Boards of Directors in Spanish Companies, in collaboration with DMR Consulting (now Everis).
• MBA, IESE, Universidad de Navarra
• Law degree, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
• 2002 - Present: Partner-Director of consulting firm Abacus
• 1998 - 2002: Partner, CRM Concord
• 1997 - 2002: Director of the Centre for Corporate Governance, IE Business School
• 1994 - 1997: Director of the Finance Department, IE Business School
• 1987 - 1994: Dean, IE Business School
• 1985 - 1987: Associate Director of Finance, Cortefiel
• 1984 - 1985: Director in Madrid of NH Hoteles
• 1978 - 1981: General Director and Finance Director, Confisa
• 1977 - 1978: Assistant to senior management, treasury management group of Imperial Chemical Industries
Teaching and Research
• 1987 - Present: Professor of Finance, IE Business School
• Author of numerous teaching notes and articles and contributions to mainstream media
• Author and co-author of several studies, including Information of Boards of Directors in Spanish