Víctor Torre de Silva
Víctor Torre de Silva
Legal Adviser in the Council of State (Spain) since 1991, and having served as Undersecretary of Defense for the Spanish government for four years, Víctor Torre de Silva is an expert in administrative law, on which his doctoral thesis was written. In his own words: “The international security arena has changed in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The way in which state security forces act has also changed. They can occasionally produce damages to firms and individuals. That is why I am analysing the liability of the government for these damages”. Professor Torre de Silva is also interested in contracts and property law as well as in negotiation techniques.
After gaining a Law Degree from Universidad Complutense de Madrid, with national awards, Professor Torre de Silva obtained a Master of Laws at Harvard University Law School and a Ph.D in Law with honors at the Universidad Complutense again, which was awarded a University prize. He has also served as director in the board of several firms, including the Spanish railways company, and the Spanish ports authority, and has been chief of staff of the Speaker of Spanish Parliament (Congreso de los Diputados). He received the Isabel la Católica Great Cross by royal decree in May 2004.
In the course of his career he has had numerous articles and research works published in specialised journals, including Revista de Administración Pública (Spanish public sector journal) and Revista Española de Derecho Administrativo (Spanish administrative law journal). Professor Torre de Silva’s research projects include a thesis undertaken at Harvard on regulatory agencies. He also collaborates with some media.
• PhD in Law, Universidad Complutense de Madrid with University prize
• Master of Laws, Harvard University
• Law Degree with national awards and honours, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
• Legal Adviser in the Council of State (Spain) since 1991
• Elected member of the Board overseeing military life in Spain, by Spanish Parliament (Congreso de los Diputados) (2013)
• Undersecretary of Defence for the Spanish government (2000 - 2004)
• Director of the Board, Renfe (Spanish railways company) (2000 - 2004)
• Director of the Board, Construcciones Aeronáuticas, S.A. (2000 - 2001)
• Director of the Board, Spanish Ports Authority (2000 - 2004)
• Chief of Staff of the Speaker of Spanish Parliament (Congreso de los Diputados) (1996 - 2000)
Teaching and Research Experience
• Professor of Law at Instituto de Empresa since September 2004
• Author of numerous articles and research works, including the book Responsabilidad patrimonial de la Administración en materia de seguridad ciudadana (2013), and the following book chapters: “La responsabilidad de la Administración europea por ejercicio de su actividad administrativa”, in the book Procedimiento administrativo europeo (2012); “Algunas cuestiones en relación con la terminación de los contratos públicos”, in the book Contratos públicos: Análisis de la regulación en España y discusión de las principales líneas de mejora (2006); introduction to the book La Hacienda militar (2002); and the chapter “La organización parlamentaria: la presidencia”, in the book La Presidencia del Parlamento Europeo(1997). He is also author of some published papers such as Reflexiones sobre los sistemas tributarios modernos (Revista Española de Derecho Financiero y Hacienda Púbilca); En torno a la concesión de aprovechamiento hidroeléctrico y a su situación inicial (Revista Española de Derecho Administrativo); and Sobre la independencia de las agencias federales en los Estados Unidos (Revista de Administración Pública)
- Sayın, Y., Lehavi, A., Oder, B.E., Önok, M., Francavilla, D., Torre de Silva, V. & Sudarshan, R.(2017). Land Law and Limits on the Right to Property: Historical, Comparative and International Analysis. European Property Law Journal, Vol. 6(1): 4–52
- Torre de Silva, V.(2017). “Responsabilidad por nacimiento evitable (wrongful birth) y discapacidad”. Revista de Administración Pública, Nº203, 89-136