IE University promotes humanitarian aid projects to help Ukraine
IE Foundation and the Spanish Red Cross are joining forces to collect donations that contribute to basic needs for Ukrainians who are currently displaced due to the war.
IE Foundation, IE University’s foundation, and the Spanish Red Cross are joining forces with a fund-raising campaign to buy basic necessities for refugees displaced by the war in Ukraine. The Spanish Red Cross will channel the aid received through the Red Cross teams in those countries hosting Ukrainian refugees displaced by the war.
“IE University’s community of students, graduates, faculty, and staff who come from 165 countries is a model of commitment and solidarity, defense of peace, and respect for human rights. We are confident that our members will participate generously in this donation campaign to help Ukraine at a time of great difficulty, when millions of Ukrainian people have already lost so much.”
Gonzalo Garland, Vice President of IE Foundation
Academic and financial support
The campaign with the Spanish Red Cross adds to the initiatives already underway at IE University, which is providing psychological and emotional help, as well as academic or financial support, to students in and from the region. The Global Alumni Relations and Talent & Careers teams are in contact with IE University graduates in the region to help them find jobs, expand their network or support their relocation to other countries. IE Travel Management supports students and their families, professors and staff with international mobility issues. At the same time, IE Campus Life, together with the IE Charity Club, has launched a campaign to collect medicines, clothes and non-perishable food.
In addition, the IE Law School legal clinic at IE University will develop a legal guide in Ukrainian and English that explains the basic regulations and procedures for refugees from Ukraine upon arrival in Spain (including visa, legal residency, and other immigration procedures.) This project is in collaboration with Ukrainian and Russian students of IE Law School.
Conferences and debates
At the academic level, IE University is providing analysis and dialogue on the implications and consequences of the war in Ukraine, with the institution’s schools organizing a variety of meetings and debates. On March 3, a conference about the invasion of Ukraine was organized by IE School of Global and Public Affairs and led by Susana Malcorra, Senior Advisor at IE University who is also a former Argentinean minister of foreign affairs and chief of staff of the Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon. IE University experts such as Susana Torres, Michele Testoni, Evangelos Liaras, Nikolina Židek, and Andrew Bertoli participated in the debate.
At the same time, IE University’s Knowledge Hub, IE Insights, has a number of thought-provoking opinion pieces on this global tragedy:
- A new international order, by Manuel Muñiz, Provost of IE University and Dean of IE School of Global and Public Affairs.
- Force Today for Peace Tomorrow, by Ángel Alonso Arroba, Vice dean of IE School of Global and Public Affairs.
- War in Ukraine: The EU’s Appeasement and Brinkmanship, by Miguel Otero-Iglesias, an expert in International Political Economy at IE University, and Hubert Zimmermann of The Philipp University of Marburg.
- War and the Iron Curtain, Again, by Julio Crespo-MacLennan, Director of the Hispanic Observatory.
- The Triumph of Misconception, written by Susana Torres Prieto, Professor of Humanities at IE University, Research Associate of the Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute (HURI), and Member of the Institut d’Études Slaves.